D H A C

Default Sylvania/Funai TV/DVD/VCR shutdown question

This is regarding a Sylvania model SRCD227 27" combo that's about 2 years
old. This group has helped me in the past with these combo units, I'm hoping
someone will recognize this problem and maybe a couple of diodes will fix
it. I have no schematic.
What I have is a TV that will power up. You can get an excellent (off-air)
picture for a few seconds and then it will shut off. D2645 appears to have
been running a little hot....not sure if this is related although the diode
checks good on the ohm meter. All of the other diodes in this area also
check good with the meter and there doesn't appear to be any shorts at the
diodes outputs. Another clue is there doesn't seem to be any power to the
motor in the DVD player and the VCR doesn't go through it's self test when
first plugged in.
If anyone has had a similar problem and could make a suggestion or if
someone has access to a schematic and would be willing to forward.

TIA,
Steve

Sofie

Steve:
More than likely the problem is in the VCR or possibly the DVD
mechanism..... if there is a mechanical or electronic problem in the VCR
tape or cassette loading mechanism this can cause the symptoms you
described.
These are just about impossible for the inexperienced novice to troubleshoot
or repair..... my best advice to you is for you to TAKE it to a service shop
for a professional hands-on opinion, otherwise all you will get on the
internet or the phone is guesses.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"D H A C" wrote in message
[...]

D H A C

Daniel,

I appreciate the suggestions. No novice here. Just retired from the business
and I still enjoy troubleshooting....

"D H A C" wrote in message
[...]

sofie

Steve:
You have fun now..... after you fix it please post your repair results.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"D H A C" wrote in message
[...]

Eugen T

I have same problem in Sylvania VCR/TV. The problem is in VCR - one of the
gears came off - it's very hard to get to the VCR - you have to take the
whole thing apart, and it's also very hard to put that gear back on and get
it in correct spot. I gave up on that 13" piece of crap.

"D H A C" wrote in message
[...]

D H A C

Thanks for the recommendation about the VCR problems. This TV is much easier
to service than the old 9 and 13 inch Funai combos of the past. Looks like
I am missing the 12 volts going to the VCR and DVD. I guess it's time for a
schematic...
Just figured I'd post the question in hopes I would be lucky enough to find
someone that had the same problem with this model....
. ..

"D H A C" wrote in message
[...]

Wild Bill

I haven't had the delightful experience of working on one of these combo
units with DVD, but have repaired a few of the TV/VCR types.

My approach would be to confirm that any power supply sources (any that are
labeled) are present, then to focus my attention on the VCR.
I suspect the unit in normal operating condition (when empty) would normally
power up when a cassette is inserted, as an auto-on/power-up feature.
Confirming that the sensor light source is present, and possibly verifying
that the sensors are changing states would be a basic check.
The mechanical parts should be closely inspected, and a check of freedom of
motion of the various parts to see that a forign object hasn't caused some
interruption and/or damage.
It's not likely that the mode switch is easily accessible, or that it can be
tested without a service manual. I generally try to avoid a
tear-down/disassembly to get a mode switch out.. instead, I try to get a
couple of drops of DeoxIT to creep into the switch to see if this will
change any of the symptoms (after cycling the mech thru a couple of loading
functions).

I'm in about the same place as you, it seems.. out of the biz for a few
years, but unable to avoid the challenge of repairs. It's good exercise for
my feeble grey matter.
Funai was decent at providing parts info and service literature years ago,
don't know about now though.

Cheers
WB

"D H A C" wrote in message
[...]

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Mit. VS5010 intermittent shutdown. JURB6006 Electronics Repair 2 September 10th 03 04:03 PM