Chris

Default Video card damaging CRT monitor?

Hi there,

Silly question time - can a faulty graphics card damage the HV side of a
CRT monitor? I would have said no, but having read the monitor repair
FAQ wanted to double check.

The video card is an old ATI Rage II in my second pc. A while back the
monitor died, with arcing (sparks visible through the case) from what I
guess is the flyback transformer.

I've just borrowed another (old but good condition) monitor (LG 520Si
'plug and play'), used it off and on for a few hours, and it has just
started arcing accompanied by momentary picture collapse.

I'm going to take it into a repair shop monday, but before I risk
connecting a monitor to the pc again, is there anyway that these
problems could be caused by the video card? As far as I am aware the
card output has been in the range of the monitor (800x600, 60 - 75 Hz).
Even if the card output was out of the monitor's range, could it cause
this kind of problem?

Many thanks,

Chris.

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

Ricky Eck

Chris,
I really can't see how it could hurt the HV side. Now, with
electronics, anything is possible. I can see how MAYBE a bad Vid. Card
could damage the INPUT on the CRT, if the cards WAS to output more voltage
and currant then the CRT is supposed to take. However, you would almost be
looking at a lightning strike to do something like that. Usually when a
Vid. Card goes out, you lose your video. I have never personally seen a CRT
damaged in any form caused directly from a bad video card.

Hope that helps some,
Rick

"Chris" wrote in
message news
[...]

LASERandDVDfan

A bad video card can damage the high voltage sections on a computer monitor if
the card cannot deliver the video signal at a compatible scan rate. - Reinhart
David

Your statement would be true if the monitors did not have a shutdown if they
see the wrong scan rate. Only a very few el-cheapo and old (8 years or
older) monitors do not have immediate shutdown if an incompatible scan rate
is being input.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
A bad video card can damage the high voltage sections on a computer

monitor if
the card cannot deliver the video signal at a compatible scan rate. -

Reinhart

Ricky Eck

Well, I was going to reply, but you stated it very well David. I know I
have been working on computers for around 15-18 years, and have replace oh,
around 100-150 Video Cards (Give or take a few) and never ran across any
that had fried a Monitor. Now, I have had monitors that got fried by
Lightning. Usually took out the computer at the same time though. Nice
Insurance claim. Computer gets fried, and they get a check, and buy a new
computer, cheaper and better then the original one they bought.. LOL
Rick

"David" wrote in message
Your statement would be true if the monitors did not have a shutdown if

they
see the wrong scan rate. Only a very few el-cheapo and old (8 years or
older) monitors do not have immediate shutdown if an incompatible scan

rate
is being input.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
A bad video card can damage the high voltage sections on a computer

monitor if
the card cannot deliver the video signal at a compatible scan rate. -

Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

Your statement would be true if the monitors did not have a shutdown if they
see the wrong scan rate

True. But it is still a point that is worth mentioning. However, as you've
pointed, I would assume that good monitors would detect the scanrate before
ever running it to the tube as a safety. But even with safeties, it's still
best to understand the limits of your monitor and never exceed them under any
circumstances.

Anyways, if the video card is faulty for whatever reason, a replacement is
necessary if troubleshooting cannot resolve the problem.

I would advise uninstalling all the drivers for the video card and reinstalling
with the most recent updated drivers from the manufacturer's website first
before condemning the card. This is assuming that the card will allow the
machine to POST first. If it won't POST and the computer emits an audible
trouble code as a series of beeps, then it's obvious.

If the original poster still can, he should try to start his computer up in
safe mode and uninstall all the drivers of his old video card before attempting
to install the new video card and its drivers. Of course, as I've mentioned,
this is assuming that the card will allow the computer to POST first. -
Reinhart
Jason D.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 21:42:59 GMT, "Ricky Eck"
wrote:

Well, I was going to reply, but you stated it very well David. I know I
have been working on computers for around 15-18 years, and have replace oh,
around 100-150 Video Cards (Give or take a few) and never ran across any
that had fried a Monitor. Now, I have had monitors that got fried by
Lightning. Usually took out the computer at the same time though. Nice
Insurance claim. Computer gets fried, and they get a check, and buy a new
computer, cheaper and better then the original one they bought.. LOL
Rick

2 cases, one myself and one instances of customer complaints;

Mine: I occasionally get "Scan out of range" messages on SyncMaster
763MB while shutting down win98 because win98 vomited on the video
card (good quality Nvidia video card that cost 200 cdn).

Second: Once in awhile I get a samsung monitor with customer's
complaint (we're samsung authorized shop) it is "out of range error"
like mine or stays blank during start up. My boss doesn't understand
that but I told him many time to tell customers to change their video
card first. I know personally because I had few Matrox cards had bios
went corrupt causing no display or bad freqs but this is certainly
will happen to other video cards also.

It is a pain to have to remove video card in hardware manager and find
out you have to download a HUGE video card driver and need a cd burner
or no windows CD customer pirated! :-P

I wish green saver features get in way when first powered up to see
the inital startup texts on the monitors. Instead monitor slowly wake
up and miss whole fun. Also this delays the video modes switching
because of heater shutting off every time.

Cheers,

Wizard

"David" wrote in message
Your statement would be true if the monitors did not have a shutdown if

they
see the wrong scan rate. Only a very few el-cheapo and old (8 years or
older) monitors do not have immediate shutdown if an incompatible scan

rate
is being input.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
A bad video card can damage the high voltage sections on a computer

monitor if
the card cannot deliver the video signal at a compatible scan rate. -

Reinhart

hemyd

[...]

Silly answer time, Chris. Once I had a 17" monitor, and I accidentally left
it running on some unsupported resolution/scanning frequency combination.
The raster was black with a slight whistling noise. Then there was a burning
smell and I later found the HOT was blown. Coincidence? Maybe, but I've
always had this suspicion that the unsupported settings on the video card
did the damage (there are warnings in some card manuals that some settings
may damage the monitor).

Henry
Australia

cut along the dotted line to reply

Asimov

"Ricky Eck" bravely wrote to "All" (15 May 04 21:42:59)
--- on the heady topic of " Video card damaging CRT monitor?"

You have never heard of a virus destroying monitors by purposely
screwing around with the video card?!

RE From: "Ricky Eck"

RE Well, I was going to reply, but you stated it very well David. I know
RE I have been working on computers for around 15-18 years, and have
RE replace oh, around 100-150 Video Cards (Give or take a few) and never
RE ran across any that had fried a Monitor.

.... 'Keep the smoke inside.' -- 1st Rule of Electronics.

Chris

David wrote:
Your statement would be true if the monitors did not have a shutdown if they
see the wrong scan rate. Only a very few el-cheapo and old (8 years or
older) monitors do not have immediate shutdown if an incompatible scan rate
is being input.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message

A bad video card can damage the high voltage sections on a computer

monitor if

the card cannot deliver the video signal at a compatible scan rate. -

Reinhart

Both monitors are approx 5 years old, and are 'budget' monitors (good
picture, FST tube etc, but not name brand).

I presume if the video card was outputting an unacceptable scan rate
(rather than the set value), even if the monitor did not shutdown it
would not display the video correctly?

Many thnaks for everyone's help,

Chris

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

Chris

LASERandDVDfan wrote:

Your statement would be true if the monitors did not have a shutdown if they
see the wrong scan rate

True. But it is still a point that is worth mentioning. However, as you've
pointed, I would assume that good monitors would detect the scanrate before
ever running it to the tube as a safety. But even with safeties, it's still
best to understand the limits of your monitor and never exceed them under any
circumstances.

As far as I am aware, the card has been running (or at least set) within
the monitors capabiliities at all times.

If the original poster still can, he should try to start his computer up in
safe mode and uninstall all the drivers of his old video card before attempting
to install the new video card and its drivers. Of course, as I've mentioned,
this is assuming that the card will allow the computer to POST first. -
Reinhart

The PC still boots up fine, the video card appears to be fine - the only
'symptom' I have is that the two monitors seem to have failed in the
same manner (which struck me as a bit of a coincidence). I don't want to
break another monitor, but at the same time I don't want to needlessly
buy another video card.

Thanks for your help,

Chris.

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

Chris

hemyd wrote:

"Chris" wrote in
message news
Hi there,

Silly question time - can a faulty graphics card damage the HV side of a
CRT monitor? I would have said no, but having read the monitor repair
FAQ wanted to double check.

Silly answer time, Chris. Once I had a 17" monitor, and I accidentally left
it running on some unsupported resolution/scanning frequency combination.
The raster was black with a slight whistling noise. Then there was a burning
smell and I later found the HOT was blown. Coincidence? Maybe, but I've
always had this suspicion that the unsupported settings on the video card
did the damage (there are warnings in some card manuals that some settings
may damage the monitor).

Henry
Australia

Thanks Henry - the video card settings I was using were supported, and I
had a display the whole time, which I thought would have meant that the
video card was ok - two monitors just seems to be too much of an
(expensive) coincidence).

Thanks,

Chris.

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

Sam Goldwasser

Chris writes:

David wrote:
Your statement would be true if the monitors did not have a shutdown if they
see the wrong scan rate. Only a very few el-cheapo and old (8 years or
older) monitors do not have immediate shutdown if an incompatible scan rate
is being input.
"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message

A bad video card can damage the high voltage sections on a computer

monitor if

the card cannot deliver the video signal at a compatible scan rate. -

Reinhart

Both monitors are approx 5 years old, and are 'budget' monitors (good
picture, FST tube etc, but not name brand).

I presume if the video card was outputting an unacceptable scan rate
(rather than the set value), even if the monitor did not shutdown it
would not display the video correctly?

No, it might struggle to display it and overload some component, then
shut down permanently.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Chris

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Chris writes:

I presume if the video card was outputting an unacceptable scan rate
(rather than the set value), even if the monitor did not shutdown it
would not display the video correctly?

No, it might struggle to display it and overload some component, then
shut down permanently.

Thanks for the info Sam. I am as sure as I can be that this was not the
failure mode. I guess I will risk it and try a new monitor / get the old
monitor repaired and try again.

Thanks again,

Chris.

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

LASERandDVDfan

Both monitors are approx 5 years old, and are 'budget' monitors (good
picture, FST tube etc, but not name brand).

Budget monitors that are five years old. That actually explains a lot.

A lot of so-called budget monitors are crap with cheap parts and shoddy build
with questionable engineering.

One such example is a monitor where its mainboard is so placed that it would
warp when the monitor was resting on it's swivel base. This would eventually
cause a whole load of cold solder joints, some which could cause a catastrophic
failure of the monitor itself.

Buy something from a respectable name brand next time. They may be more
expensive, but they will certainly last for a much longer time. I would
recommend Sony monitors over any others if considering CRT displays.
Viewsonic, NEC, and Panasonic aren't bad choices, though. - Reinhart