Ricky Eck

Default Video card damaging CRT monitor?

Chris,
I really can't see how it could hurt the HV side. Now, with
electronics, anything is possible. I can see how MAYBE a bad Vid. Card
could damage the INPUT on the CRT, if the cards WAS to output more voltage
and currant then the CRT is supposed to take. However, you would almost be
looking at a lightning strike to do something like that. Usually when a
Vid. Card goes out, you lose your video. I have never personally seen a CRT
damaged in any form caused directly from a bad video card.

Hope that helps some,
Rick

"Chris" wrote in
message news
Hi there,

Silly question time - can a faulty graphics card damage the HV side of a
CRT monitor? I would have said no, but having read the monitor repair
FAQ wanted to double check.

The video card is an old ATI Rage II in my second pc. A while back the
monitor died, with arcing (sparks visible through the case) from what I
guess is the flyback transformer.

I've just borrowed another (old but good condition) monitor (LG 520Si
'plug and play'), used it off and on for a few hours, and it has just
started arcing accompanied by momentary picture collapse.

I'm going to take it into a repair shop monday, but before I risk
connecting a monitor to the pc again, is there anyway that these
problems could be caused by the video card? As far as I am aware the
card output has been in the range of the monitor (800x600, 60 - 75 Hz).
Even if the card output was out of the monitor's range, could it cause
this kind of problem?

Many thanks,

Chris.

--