Chris

Default Video card damaging CRT monitor?

Hi there,

Silly question time - can a faulty graphics card damage the HV side of a
CRT monitor? I would have said no, but having read the monitor repair
FAQ wanted to double check.

The video card is an old ATI Rage II in my second pc. A while back the
monitor died, with arcing (sparks visible through the case) from what I
guess is the flyback transformer.

I've just borrowed another (old but good condition) monitor (LG 520Si
'plug and play'), used it off and on for a few hours, and it has just
started arcing accompanied by momentary picture collapse.

I'm going to take it into a repair shop monday, but before I risk
connecting a monitor to the pc again, is there anyway that these
problems could be caused by the video card? As far as I am aware the
card output has been in the range of the monitor (800x600, 60 - 75 Hz).
Even if the card output was out of the monitor's range, could it cause
this kind of problem?

Many thanks,

Chris.

--