Sharma

Default Sony camcorder fault - please help

Hi,

I have a fault on my camcorder that is displaying a strange output via the
video out socket on the camera.

When I connect it to the TV, the camera has colour but when the picture is
bright it flickers and the overexposure blurs the real image. This happens
in both camera mode and VTR mode. Interestingly, this does not appear to
happen on the B&W viewfinder on the camera.

I am guessing that this is a Chroma issue ? Please can someone point me in
the right direction of where to troubleshoot this? I have the service
manual but it doesn't tell me much. Please can someone also let me know
what a Y process is and whether this is connected to the fault ?

Thanks for your help

Stephen Leslie

Hi Sharma,

If I am reading you right, when the camcorder is connected to the tv, on
playback or record colours flicker on the tv screen.

If so then this sounds like you just have the camera on the wrong playback
setting and so in the menu system of the camcorder change it from PAL to
NTSC, or other way around and see if that makes a difference.

Maybe others can verify this and you could also try e-mailing Sony
themselves.
Cheers,
Stephen
"Sharma" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a fault on my camcorder that is displaying a strange output via the
video out socket on the camera.

When I connect it to the TV, the camera has colour but when the picture is
bright it flickers and the overexposure blurs the real image. This

happens
in both camera mode and VTR mode. Interestingly, this does not appear to
happen on the B&W viewfinder on the camera.

I am guessing that this is a Chroma issue ? Please can someone point me

in
the right direction of where to troubleshoot this? I have the service
manual but it doesn't tell me much. Please can someone also let me know
what a Y process is and whether this is connected to the fault ?

Thanks for your help

Sharma

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, however, the camcorder is only a PAL model and
doesn't have NTSC capabilities.

The problem is not that colours flicker but instead whenever the picture has
bright colours in it, the picture either rolls or is overcast (not sure if
that's the right word) but the colours bleed into the other ones making it
impossible to view the bright colour (if that makes sense).

Any further help much appreciated

Cheers

"Sharma" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a fault on my camcorder that is displaying a strange output via

the
video out socket on the camera.

When I connect it to the TV, the camera has colour but when the picture

is
bright it flickers and the overexposure blurs the real image. This

happens
in both camera mode and VTR mode. Interestingly, this does not appear

happen on the B&W viewfinder on the camera.

I am guessing that this is a Chroma issue ? Please can someone point me

in
the right direction of where to troubleshoot this? I have the service
manual but it doesn't tell me much. Please can someone also let me know
what a Y process is and whether this is connected to the fault ?

Thanks for your help

Tim Cederman-Haysom

"Sharma" wrote in message
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply, however, the camcorder is only a PAL model and
doesn't have NTSC capabilities.

Most PAL models *do* have NTSC capabilities and also are usually in NTSC
mode by default (which is crazy, but anyway)

WDino

Actually, most digital camcorders are either Pal or NTSC. They have a
different image sensor for the two systems.

Mark (UK)

?

They may be multisystem, but they're not going to have a separate CCD
sensor for each TV system. You may be thinking of 3CCD cameras, which
use a separate sensor for R G and B.

Yours, Mark.

WDino wrote:

Actually, most digital camcorders are either Pal or NTSC. They have a
different image sensor for the two systems.

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:06:34 GMT, "WDino" wrote:

Actually, most digital camcorders are either Pal or NTSC. They have a
different image sensor for the two systems.

There are single-ccd cameras. And there are 3-ccd cameras. I've
never seen a 2-ccd one.

I think you've misunderstood something, somewhere :-)
PTRAVEL

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:06:34 GMT, "WDino" wrote:

Actually, most digital camcorders are either Pal or NTSC. They have a
different image sensor for the two systems.

There are single-ccd cameras. And there are 3-ccd cameras. I've
never seen a 2-ccd one.

Panasonic AG-456 is a 2-ccd camera.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think you've misunderstood something, somewhere :-)

gothika

On Wed, 19 May 2004 16:27:18 +0100, Laurence Payne
wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:06:34 GMT, "WDino" wrote:

Actually, most digital camcorders are either Pal or NTSC. They have a
different image sensor for the two systems.

There are single-ccd cameras. And there are 3-ccd cameras. I've
never seen a 2-ccd one.

I think you've misunderstood something, somewhere :-)

Actually Sony made a two CCD camera in the late 80's and early 90's.
One chip for red another for the blue/green.
Might still make them as I don't keep up with the business since
retirement.
gothika

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:11:34 -0700, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:06:34 GMT, "WDino" wrote:

Actually, most digital camcorders are either Pal or NTSC. They have a
different image sensor for the two systems.

There are single-ccd cameras. And there are 3-ccd cameras. I've
never seen a 2-ccd one.

Panasonic AG-456 is a 2-ccd camera.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Didn't know that Panasonic made one, just following suit from Sony I
guess.

I think you've misunderstood something, somewhere :-)