beaudoin

Default Sony Trinitron Color Problem

I have a twelve year old Sony Trinitron that has suddenly developed a color
problem. The colors all of a sudden changed to mainly green and pink. No
adjustment brings it back to normal. A friend told me a color gun failed.
Might this be so? Another friend told me it might be the video board. If
this is so, where can I get a replacement board? And where can I get a
schematic?

MarkC

It is most likley a weak electron gun in the CRT which throws the color
mixing off balance

Art

Being 12+ years old it is probable the crt has finaly given up, may want to
have the tele checked out to assure yourself of that fact or just look for a
viable replacment tele.
"MarkC" wrote in message
It is most likley a weak electron gun in the CRT which throws the color
mixing off balance

RubbishRat

"beaudoin" wrote in message
I have a twelve year old Sony Trinitron that has suddenly developed a

color
problem. The colors all of a sudden changed to mainly green and pink. No
adjustment brings it back to normal. A friend told me a color gun failed.
Might this be so? Another friend told me it might be the video board. If
this is so, where can I get a replacement board? And where can I get a
schematic?

I think a sudden change like you indicate points to a component failure
rather than a weak tube as the tubes tend to lose emmission more slowly over
time. A green/pink picture might indicate a failed blue video output device.
Swapping the RGB connectors on the CRT neck might help in diagnosis.
You don't say which model but there are some Sony schematics available here
http://rv6llh.rsuh.ru/shema2.htm
Other posters may know of others.
Pete

John M.

I think a sudden change like you indicate points to a component failure
rather than a weak tube as the tubes tend to lose emmission more slowly

over
time. A green/pink picture might indicate a failed blue video output

device.
Swapping the RGB connectors on the CRT neck might help in diagnosis.
You don't say which model but there are some Sony schematics available

here
http://rv6llh.rsuh.ru/shema2.htm
Other posters may know of others.
Pete

I would agree with Pete's assessment. Sams Fotofacts are usually my first
choice for schematics.
Warning: Sonys can be a pain in the a*s to fix! smile
John

Alan Harriman

On Sun, 9 May 2004 23:25:45 -0400, "beaudoin" wrote:

I have a twelve year old Sony Trinitron that has suddenly developed a color
problem. The colors all of a sudden changed to mainly green and pink. No
adjustment brings it back to normal. A friend told me a color gun failed.
Might this be so? Another friend told me it might be the video board. If
this is so, where can I get a replacement board? And where can I get a
schematic?

Don't overlook a degauss problem. Sometimes a magnetized tube can have the
overall appearance of a missing color, instead of the more commonly seen
localized discoloration. Might try resoldering the degauss thermistor.

Alan Harriman

beaudoin

Thanks to everyone responding. The model number is kv-27tr10. Any
additional leads/help will certainly appreciated.

RonKZ650

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but look for an aprox 1"x1" square
shaped black colored part. It's a 3 leg thermister labeled on the board as
THP601. It's on the far left of the main board toward the back a couple inches
from the fuse. Look at all 3 connections to this part under the board. You'll
find a burnt connection on one lead. Resolder it and you'll be all fixed up.
Ron