Paul

Default Samsung DVD question

Hello
I have a Samsung DVD V3650 combo unit ..
The unit will read and play SVCD JPEG and audio CD with no problems but when
I insert
a DVD movie it loads spins but will not read the disk .after about 5 minutes
of searching
I get a can't read disk message
I am assuming that because it will read the other formats the laser should
be OK
any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Peter van Merkerk

"Paul" wrote in message
Hello
I have a Samsung DVD V3650 combo unit ..
The unit will read and play SVCD JPEG and audio CD with no problems but

when
I insert
a DVD movie it loads spins but will not read the disk .after about 5

minutes
of searching
I get a can't read disk message
I am assuming that because it will read the other formats the laser

should
be OK

DVD players use two lasers; one IR laser for CD's and a red laser for DVD
discs. My guess is that there is a problem with the red laser.

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Art

Agreed: unless there is some user menu selection that you may have changed.
Check all the setup and user menu settings to ascertain that you did not
select only audio mode?? Otherwise you will need to get the unit into a
service facility.
"Peter van Merkerk" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in message
Hello
I have a Samsung DVD V3650 combo unit ..
The unit will read and play SVCD JPEG and audio CD with no problems but

when
I insert
a DVD movie it loads spins but will not read the disk .after about 5

minutes
of searching
I get a can't read disk message
I am assuming that because it will read the other formats the laser

should
be OK

DVD players use two lasers; one IR laser for CD's and a red laser for DVD
discs. My guess is that there is a problem with the red laser.

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Jerry G.

These players use 2 lasers. One is for DVD's, and the other is for CD type
disks. The DVD one either has a dirty lens, or has failed. It is also
possible that there is a defect in the circuitry that is dealing with the
DVD media has failed, but this is not often. You can try cleaning the laser
lenses, and making sure that all the cables and etc, are seated well. Try
another DVD disk, in case the one you are using is defective.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Paul" wrote in message
Hello
I have a Samsung DVD V3650 combo unit ..
The unit will read and play SVCD JPEG and audio CD with no problems but when
I insert
a DVD movie it loads spins but will not read the disk .after about 5 minutes
of searching
I get a can't read disk message
I am assuming that because it will read the other formats the laser should
be OK
any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Paul

Thanks to all for responding ..
I'm showing my ignorance here ...
I removed the laser unit from the transport and ..on top is the lens ? is
that part of the first laser or is the barrel
on the bottom the laser for the DVD ..it reflects into two prisms or
reflectors
I do get a bright red light when it is searching then a faint more orangey
light ..
again excuse my ignorance ..as you can tell I am no tech ..
I have cleaned everywhere there is an opening all the reflectors and will re
assemble the unit and try again
I tried several DVD's and even one which had never been used still with no
luck
I guess for what I have into this machine it may be worth just replacing the
laser unit ..although I believe this unit is
discontinued and even then it was just over the $100. mark and I would
assume the laser would be costly ..
well at least the VCR works fine..

Thanks again ..