Elize

Default How to merge 2 phone line jacks to one?

Please help me if you can.

I recently moved in new complex apt. in Chicago, IL
and found one of three phone jack in master bedroom
not working. One possibility is the ex-resident used
second phone line on it.

The landlord refuges to pay SBC tech service fee for
merging two phone lines to one, cost about $100.

Anyone can help me out how to fix the problem?
Landlord allows me to access the phone line box.
It is easy to fix it by myself?

The living room phone jack has 24 wires and 4 wires
used for living room phone jack. I can't check the
another phone jack in the small room. The phone
jack in master bedroom has 6 wires and 4 wires
connected to the phone jack. I hooked the 4 wires
of the same colors used for master bedroom phone jack
to the living room phone jack and I get dial tone.
Oops, it's different number.
krikkit

A single line phone uses only two wires, usually the red and green, which
connect to the center two terminals of the phone jack box. The other two
(black and yellow ) are not used. If you're getting a dial tone on that
bedroom jack and it's a different number, you've got a second line. It's
still active or there would be no dial tone. (Call a friend that has caller
ID to find out the number) When a former resident moves out and calls the
phone Co to disconnect, they don't actually physically disconnect any wires.
It's simply a programming function that disables that line until the next
resident gets a 'hook up'. If it's disabled, you'd measure 48 volts DC
between the two leads, but would not get a dial tone.

"Elize" wrote in message
om...
Please help me if you can.

I recently moved in new complex apt. in Chicago, IL
and found one of three phone jack in master bedroom
not working. One possibility is the ex-resident used
second phone line on it.

The landlord refuges to pay SBC tech service fee for
merging two phone lines to one, cost about $100.

Anyone can help me out how to fix the problem?
Landlord allows me to access the phone line box.
It is easy to fix it by myself?

The living room phone jack has 24 wires and 4 wires
used for living room phone jack. I can't check the
another phone jack in the small room. The phone
jack in master bedroom has 6 wires and 4 wires
connected to the phone jack. I hooked the 4 wires
of the same colors used for master bedroom phone jack
to the living room phone jack and I get dial tone.
Oops, it's different number.

Joseph Roberts

To do this you will need some way to trace the 2 wires leading to the jack
you want connected to find which of the 24 in the living room box you need
to connect. This usually requires one of those RF wire tracing tools, these
are about $80. After you know which 2 wires need connecting, just splice
them into the wires leading into the phone jack in the living room.
"Elize" wrote in message
[...]

Jerry G.

It will be cheaper and more reliable for you to have the phone company do
this for you. The R/G are for the main line, and the Y/B are for the second
line in most cases. This may all be wired for you, and it is the tele
company that has to do the software fix in their equipment at the central
office to feed out to the lines that are already there. They will charge
about $60 in most areas to program their system to feed the lines. Since
the previous tenant had the service, it should all be wired.

If it is not wired, for you to do this yourself, may involve some tracing,
and testing of the wires and connections. The tools to do this are a lot
more than the $100 to pay the tele company. You will also have to know what
you are doing, if you want to be successful at this. If you plan to live
there for more than a year, this works out to be very little cost.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com