BananaPannaPoe-

Default Noise

Hey, I'm trying to connect the output of my computer sound card to the input
of my stereo reciever. I hear it but a loud hum kills the sound.
My grounds are good. What the heck could be causing this? Sound card
incompatability? My regular pc speakers work fine. Is there a fix?

---

Jeff Wiseman

BananaPannaPoe- wrote:

Hey, I'm trying to connect the output of my computer sound card to the input
of my stereo reciever. I hear it but a loud hum kills the sound.
My grounds are good. What the heck could be causing this? Sound card
incompatability? My regular pc speakers work fine. Is there a fix?

Really sounds like it may be a ground loop problem. You'll need
to find the culprit first (which could be a number of places).

Does the receiver have anything else connected to it (especially
something like a TV or VCR with a cablvision cable hooked up to
it)? If so, disconnect all the other items except the PC and see
if it reduces or eliminates the hum. If there IS a cablevision
cable hooked up, try disconnecting it first. If disconnecting the
cable fixes it, get an isolation balun for your cable

Are the receiver and PC plugged into the same outlet? If they are
not, try doing that and see if the hum reduces some.

If these checks don't reduce the hum, you may need an audio
isolation transformer between the PC and the receiver.

- Jeff
BananaPannaPoe-

You're right. It was coming from my TV audio output. But why?
I like to pipe that sound through my stereo speakers when I'm playing a DVD
movie. I guess the TV needs an isolation transformer. I hate to run an
extension cord all the way across the living room just to have the TV on the
same outlet. My audio wire goes down through the cellar and up at the
stereo. It didn't conflict with my cassett deck, only the PC.