Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
My father's son

Default Computer power supply compatiility

I had a Soyo computer which didn't work: All it did was turn on, light up
few lights on the CD-ROM, start the fan whirring and I got some very minor
clicking. Nothing whatsoever got transmitted from the computer to the
monitor which would stop the light on the monitor from flashing as if there
was nothing connected

Soyo eventually told me that the mobo was probably at fault so I replaced it
with an Asus P3V133 which I am now using with the 450 Mhz Pentium 11.

Which (when I THINK I got all the processor and voltages/bus speeds and
multiples correct) does exactly the same thing

So I am wondering if it might actually be a problem with the power supply,
a problem Soyo didn't consider.

So I bought a Compaq one for a munificent $3 at a local flea market.

Does anyone know if all ATX power supplies will work with Asus mobos? I
found out (not the hard way) that apparently all Dell ones are different and
if you plug a Dell one (which helpfully has exactly the same ATX plug) into
a non-Dell mobo, it may well fry the circuits.

Unlike the original Soyo power supply the Compaq doesnt have a power switch
on it and when I tried testing the voltages to see if they went with the
voltages cleverly set out in the ASUS manual, nothing is measured:
Apparently
unless you plug it in to place a load on it (the fan doesnt even go on when
you plug the power supply into the mains)

"Brothers and Sisters Have I None
But That Man's Father is My Father's Son"

Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
presario 4764 power supply start up ? Kevin Falconer Electronics Repair 16 December 4th 03 02:03 AM
Dell D1025HE Power Supply Prob. Schematic, Clues...? Iain Electronics Repair 1 November 24th 03 11:50 PM
Epson ELP 7200 Projector Power Supply Help Dylan Electronics Repair 5 October 10th 03 10:50 PM
Trying to find power supply for external CD burner Robert Dodier Electronics Repair 1 August 29th 03 03:23 AM