Andrew

Default (audio) CD Player woes

Can anyone offer me any advice on this one?

My Denon CD player fails to "see" a disk.
If you tap hard on the "door" it will register the disk & play
perfectly.

On dismantling the mechanism, it seems that the loading / chucking
motor has got lazy. There is a limit switch to detect when the disk
tray is fully extended & fully retracted. The problem seems to be that
when retracting the tray, the drive runs out of steam before it drives
the mechanism to the end stop.

Getting to my question (finally) - the voltage applied to the motor is
only 2V.
Does this seem low ?
I'm wondering whether there is a fault in the drive electronics rather
than the motor, even though it seems to do the right things, just not
with enough "umph".

Regards

Andrew

Sam Goldwasser

"Mark D. Zacharias" writes:

Need model number. Sounds more like a loose loading belt though.

But 2 V does indeed sound too low so would check that the motor isn't
partially shorted (probably unusual for a loading motor though) and that
the power supply is working.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Andrew

Sorry, should have been more specific. CD Player is a Denon DCD 600.
Haven't found any identifying marks on the machanical sub assembly.

Thanks for the advice - will try to get a replacement belt.

Andrew
Stephen Sank

It is indeed just the loading belt slipping. If you open the drawer, then turn off the power &
manually push the drawer halfway back in, you can plainly see & access the loading belt under
the tray cutout at the front of the mech. I recall it being a 5.6" circumferance, and about
3mm thick.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Andrew" wrote in message
om...
Sorry, should have been more specific. CD Player is a Denon DCD 600.
Haven't found any identifying marks on the machanical sub assembly.

Thanks for the advice - will try to get a replacement belt.

Andrew

Andrew

Stephen

Your recollection was a bit out - the new belt is 35mm dia & 1mm in
cross section. *However, your diagnosis was absolutely 100%*

A new belt (at a cost of under 2 dollars) has achieved a fix & saved
me the cost of a new mid-range CD player.

I am very grateful for your help

Andrew