Peter

Default Viewsonic G810-2M picture turning on and off

Hello,

I have a G810-2M 21inch Viewsonic that is giving me some problems. I'm
trying to avoid pulling the entire thing apart becasue the problem is fairly
simple I think.

Whenever the monitor is hot (running for a while) I can hit the desk and
make the picture turn off and then hear the high voltage kick back on. It
use to do it at random times, but then got worse and worse until I couldn't
use it anymore.

Currently I have the cover off and I was looking for cold solder connections
but could not see any. Before I spend an hour or two to pull it all apart, I
figured someone may have some input as to where to start looking.

Thanks

James Sweet

"Peter" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a G810-2M 21inch Viewsonic that is giving me some problems. I'm
trying to avoid pulling the entire thing apart becasue the problem is

fairly
simple I think.

Whenever the monitor is hot (running for a while) I can hit the desk and
make the picture turn off and then hear the high voltage kick back on. It
use to do it at random times, but then got worse and worse until I

couldn't
use it anymore.

Currently I have the cover off and I was looking for cold solder

connections
but could not see any. Before I spend an hour or two to pull it all apart,

figured someone may have some input as to where to start looking.

Thanks

Look in the power supply and around the flyback, if hitting it has an effect
it's almost certain to be a cracked solder joint, it only takes a single one
to cause a problem. Start looking around heavy components and things that
get hot, power resistors, transistors on heatsinks, etc.

Peter

Thanks for the post, but I was hoping to get something a little more
concrete.

It's not worth powering this monitor up when it's all apart because it's too
risky and I can do more harm than good if something touches. I have the
monitor all apart and checked for obvious cold solder joints and didn't see
anything, but after looking a little more close, it looks as if there are
some bad connections around the flyback pins. I'd like to know if anyone
else has ever had this so I can be sure this is the ONLY problem and
hopefully not a cracked etch because that will be so hard to find unless of
course someone has found a fix for this problem.

as is stands now, I'll be resoldering the flyback, putting the monitor all
back together and keeping my fingers crossed unless anyone else has any
input.

Thanks everyone

"Peter" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a G810-2M 21inch Viewsonic that is giving me some problems. I'm
trying to avoid pulling the entire thing apart becasue the problem is

fairly
simple I think.

Whenever the monitor is hot (running for a while) I can hit the desk and
make the picture turn off and then hear the high voltage kick back on. It
use to do it at random times, but then got worse and worse until I

couldn't
use it anymore.

Currently I have the cover off and I was looking for cold solder

connections
but could not see any. Before I spend an hour or two to pull it all apart,

figured someone may have some input as to where to start looking.

Thanks

Brett

"Peter" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a G810-2M 21inch Viewsonic that is giving me some problems. I'm
trying to avoid pulling the entire thing apart becasue the problem is

fairly
simple I think.

Whenever the monitor is hot (running for a while) I can hit the desk and
make the picture turn off and then hear the high voltage kick back on. It
use to do it at random times, but then got worse and worse until I

couldn't
use it anymore.

Currently I have the cover off and I was looking for cold solder

connections
but could not see any. Before I spend an hour or two to pull it all apart,

figured someone may have some input as to where to start looking.

Thanks

Peter this monitor is very complex in its circuitry by design.
You may have to do just that, I did it to mine with out the metal
jacket
on main board, monitor face down with a couple of books to jack up
the PCB to plug in the color gun driver board on pictube stem. I even
checked voltages on back PCB they are documented, be careful 200 vdc
is present in this area, check voltages on diode cathode side or meter
goes crazy. The standby voltage 10+ is located in front left corner on
a 1000uf
capacitor and is not documented, this assumes you are looking at the
rear of the circuit board trace side or foil side. It sure sounds like
a cold solder joint but the LSI large scale integration of this beast
leaves one somewhat bewildered to say the least. Schematics are a must
from what I am seeing. Good luck, just watch the first anode the red
wire going into tube 40Kv or better at this point and solder points
at flyback transformer while under power.