twinkletoes

Default Akai CD Player

Hi everyone,

I have an AKAI Cd player that won't recognise the disk lying in its usual
"flat" position, but turning the unit on it's side the disk will rotate and
is recognised. It will then play 4 or 5 tracks in the side on position
before slowly grinding to a halt!

Would I be right in thinking that the spindle motor is faulty or is there
something else to look at?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andrew

Jerry G.

Try cleaning the laser to start with. Because you are saying that it works
to some degree when on its side, this can be an alignment problem, or a
mechanical part in the laser assembly is going defective.

You will not be able to properly do the alignment yourself at home without
the proper set-up, and training. Any defective parts must be first replaced.
If any mechanical parts are replaced, the unit will require a proper
alignment. If there are problems in the laser head assembly, this is
replaced as a complete unit. If this is an expensive player, I would
suggest you find out who the authorized service rep is in your area for your
unit, and send it there for proper service.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"twinkletoes" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have an AKAI Cd player that won't recognise the disk lying in its usual
"flat" position, but turning the unit on it's side the disk will rotate and
is recognised. It will then play 4 or 5 tracks in the side on position
before slowly grinding to a halt!

Would I be right in thinking that the spindle motor is faulty or is there
something else to look at?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andrew

Sam Goldwasser

See the CD repair guide at the site below. There is a lot you can do
without fancy equipment and test discs if you are willing to spend the
time.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Melissa

"twinkletoes" meant to tell us...

Hi everyone,

I have an AKAI Cd player that won't recognise the disk lying in its usual
"flat" position, but turning the unit on it's side the disk will rotate and
is recognised. It will then play 4 or 5 tracks in the side on position
before slowly grinding to a halt!

Would I be right in thinking that the spindle motor is faulty or is there
something else to look at?

I would suggest inspecting the Pickup unit for broken or intermittent
suspension wires at the lens assembly or an intermittently open coil.
A resistive measurement of the coils may help. I had the same position
dependant problem (plays sideways, not upright) on an AIWA machine
with intermittent open focal coil. A similar problem with intermittent
playback due to cracked/intermittent suspension wires I had let alone
twice the this month on Sanyo SL-P101 and SL-P101N pickups; One
cracked suspension wire at the lens solder joint - the other one
cracked the little base PCB solderjoint.- Both times it was the
tracking coil involved.
A small pen solder iron and time and a steady hand can help you a
great deal. And if it doesn't work, you can always replace the entire
pickup like Jerry G suggested.- So Sam is absolutely right when he
says...

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote...