Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV and monitor service manuals

For what it's worth, archive.org just put up the service manuals for various
tv's, monitors and projectors, about 8000 of them.

https://archive.org/details/tvmanuals

Includes weird stuff like the 3D eyewear that came with some of the 3D sets.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 21/09/2016 10:57, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
For what it's worth, archive.org just put up the service manuals for various
tv's, monitors and projectors, about 8000 of them.

https://archive.org/details/tvmanuals

Includes weird stuff like the 3D eyewear that came with some of the 3D sets.

-bruce

Are you aware of any other structured hierarchical indexing on
archive.org relating to electronics service manuals?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

Are you aware of any other structured hierarchical indexing on
archive.org relating to electronics service manuals?

No, I think their main purpose in life is to archive, leaving the search to
you. Sort of like a rummage sale where you need to pull out all the boxes
under the tables and going through the items one by one.

Several years ago I stumbled across usenet archives (since groups on google
is totally worthless these days) and they have a ton. By accident I ran
across ones for chi.* (the chicago ones) but wasn't what I was looking for
at the time.

Well sure enough, quite some time later, the discussion came up about people
who aren't around anymore, when was their last post and so-and-so.

Went back to find them and it took hours, if not including two attempts to
do so. I thought they disappeared, but were all buried. They had some in the
index, but like from giganews but only going back to 2001 or so. Another
archive, not in the index, went back to the beginning, like 1992 or so.

So consider it a treasure hunt.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22/09/2016 12:03, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

[...]

I would likely bet that archive.org uses "robots.txt" to stop
searchengines indexing its content.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

Are you aware of any other structured hierarchical indexing on
archive.org relating to electronics service manuals?

No, I think their main purpose in life is to archive, leaving the search to
you. Sort of like a rummage sale where you need to pull out all the boxes
under the tables and going through the items one by one.

But they do have "collections", though I think I've found them through
searches via google, or maybe pointers from elsewhere (so I don't know how
people found them). There's a big section of Grateful Dead recordings,
there's a big section of home computer magazines, I'm not sure what else.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

Are you aware of any other structured hierarchical indexing on
archive.org relating to electronics service manuals?

No, I think their main purpose in life is to archive, leaving the
search to
you. Sort of like a rummage sale where you need to pull out all the boxes
under the tables and going through the items one by one.

But they do have "collections", though I think I've found them through
searches via google, or maybe pointers from elsewhere (so I don't know
how people found them). There's a big section of Grateful Dead
recordings, there's a big section of home computer magazines, I'm not
sure what else.

Michael

I've never had a searchengine direct me to archive.org, only third party
redirects
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 16:41:57 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

I've never had a searchengine direct me to archive.org, only third party
redirects

You can force a google search inside, by using the "site:" keyword.
Example:
site:archive.org "Hewlett-Packard journal" "1988"

Double quotes do make a difference.

Cheers!