Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Could've been worse......................

The DVD player tray jammed and wouldn't eject the disk.

After undoing a surprisingly large number of screws to get the case open - I
noticed the rectifier/reservoir electrolytic was starting to bulge.

First one of those I've seen fail in quite a while. Its nearly always the
secondary side caps.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Engineered to fail...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Engineered to fail...

I'm thinking just a crap quality cap on the BR, its usually the secondary
side caps that fail.

It was rescued from the bin room at the flats, so I don't know its history.
Occasionally the tray would eject and retract immediately, so you have to
grab the DVD quick - apart from that, it worked fine. So far I've found a
replacement cap, but not got around to lifting the PCB out. For all I know,
someone could've already re capped the secondary side.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"asdf" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 20:12:17 +0100, Ian Field wrote:

The DVD player tray jammed and wouldn't eject the disk.

After undoing a surprisingly large number of screws to get the case open
- I noticed the rectifier/reservoir electrolytic was starting to bulge.

First one of those I've seen fail in quite a while. Its nearly always
the secondary side caps.

Capacitor bulging aside, most (all?) PC CD/DVD players have a small hole
in the front tray cover where a thin wire/hairpin can be pushed to open
the tray manually. Not sure about stand alone players though.

My other DVD player has - but only because I pulled the plastic bit off the
front.