Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony MHC C50 Mini Hi fi Component System

I have a sony mch-c50 and I want to fix it. Where can I find someone who could fix it for me please?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 11:43:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a sony mch-c50 and I want to fix it. Where can I find someone who could fix it for me please?

Umm, you realize this thread is old enough to drive a car, almost legally. It is 14 years old.

If you are having trouble with the CD reader you are looking at an incredible bitch just to clean the LASER to see if that works. If that doesn't work you need to replace it. They do go bad over the years. Don't put alot of money into it. First of all due to its age it probably only plays CD+G. There are new formats, MP3+G and NEO+G which are superseding that by leaps and bounds. What's more they are getting into Karaoke players that have harddrives, and I mean like terabyte harddrives. Never scratch another one. In fact you get online and update from a USB stick. The firmware in the units can generally handle up to 250,000 songs if you can gitem and fitem.

The ones with the internal harddrives usually have a model specific file structure to keep the software simple. However many with the USB jack can use an external harddrive formatted with FAT32, which almost everything can read. Well maybe fukin Windows 10 can't but that is not my fault.

I don't want to give a free plug, but a joint called Lightyear Music deals in this stuff. I work for them. I am kinda new to the karaoke business so I do not know if they are good or bad but they seem alright and seem to try to please the customers. They got cheap players that are totally backwards compatible but you need a TV with them. But then that looks better anyway. I didn't notice any mention of a video output on that Sony.

If you need the karaoke function you might consider one of those, or a refurb. The NEO-22 is about to drop in price because the 22 PRO is out, which adds bluetooth capability. Really, that shows how outdated that Sony is. If you went to buy karaoke disks for it your selection would be limited, like buying records for example.

I a not saying throw it out. not at all. If she likes the sound and does't use the karaoke then I think it would be easier to just find the audio wires from the CD section to the preamp/selector and wire a pair of RCA jacks on the back and plug a CD player in there.

The problem is they put the CD drive so low, all the stuff you have to take off just to CLEAN the lens is ridiculous. and there are pitfalls, you must be very careful. You miss disconnecting ONE ribbon cable and rip it as you pull out a board or assembly you are done. Throw it away.

The main board is on top and the heatsinks hanging off the back. Once you get all the **** disconnected from that then you have to remove the dual cassette mechanism which you'll be lucky to remember where all the wires go to that. Then I couldn't see, but you might not be able to remove the disk clamp which means disassembling the CD drive, just to get a Qtip in there.

And you got 20 square feet of parts laying around, though thet is not all that hard to deal with if you are ready for it.

And then you have to put it ALL THE WAY BACK TOGETHER to see if the cleaning helped or not.

I call these things frack systems for "fake rack" systems. I do ot recommend them to anyone, even if they have to hire someone to come in and connect separate components. I do not recommend they be repaired except for the most basic things like a cord or something.

If you have an AUX input just plug a CD or karaoke player in it, if not, try to fid the wire feeds the audio from the CD drive. That is my recommendation. And if you want to try doing it just for fun, I guarantee you it will not be fun.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yours may not have the karaoke function.

If not, and all it plays is regular CDs don't bother. Just find the wires.

I just looked again and they do not all have that.