Dylan

Default Logically understanding Electronics

Hi, all.

I've tried on numerous occasions to understand electronics from the
perspective of a computer programmer. It seems I should be able to
effectively 'program' the desired functionality by just using the
variety of available components in the same way that I program a
computer using the constructs in a programming langauge.

Am I seriously out to lunch here? Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Can anyone reccommend a worthwhile book to aid in my beginner's
understanding?

Thanks,
Dylan
Charles Schuler

"Dylan" wrote in message
om...
Hi, all.

I've tried on numerous occasions to understand electronics from the
perspective of a computer programmer. It seems I should be able to
effectively 'program' the desired functionality by just using the
variety of available components in the same way that I program a
computer using the constructs in a programming langauge.

Am I seriously out to lunch here? Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Can anyone reccommend a worthwhile book to aid in my beginner's
understanding?

There is considerable overlap between computer science and electrical
engineering. If fact, most universities offer a hybrid degree called
computer engineering.

You might want to start with a digital electronics book ... there are so
many of them (The one by Roger Tokheim is especially easy to read).

You should love simulating circuits with software! Another nice way to
learn.

Last edited by kevin : January 11th 05 at 07:27 PM
Asimov

"Dylan" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Sep 03 11:57:51)
--- on the heady topic of "Logically understanding Electronics"

There is some overlap but they are different sciences. Digital circuits
are made from analog parts but just like a car one doesn't have to be a
car mechanic to drive one. The fundamentals of electronics are the basic
properties of electrons and how their current flow can be controlled.
Things like voltage, resistance, current, power, reactance, capacitance,
inductance, amplification are all basic properties of how current can be
controlled. The devices used must be individually understood and their
combinations as components of circuits. Digital logic OTOH is only
concerned with Boolean math and is independent of the underlying
circuitry. For all it matters the function circuitry could be hydraulic
or steam pressure, it doesn't matter as long as the desired logic is
implemented. There will soon be photonic computers so you can add light.

Dy From: (Dylan)

Dy Hi, all.

Dy I've tried on numerous occasions to understand electronics from the
Dy perspective of a computer programmer. It seems I should be able to
Dy effectively 'program' the desired functionality by just using the
Dy variety of available components in the same way that I program a
Dy computer using the constructs in a programming langauge.

Dy Am I seriously out to lunch here? Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Dy Can anyone reccommend a worthwhile book to aid in my beginner's
Dy understanding?

Dy Thanks,
Dy Dylan

.... I said, E.T., call OHM; but he resisted.

Last edited by kevin : January 11th 05 at 07:27 PM