Patrick Tinney

Default Toshiba SD-1700U DVD with distorted audio

I recently acquired two Toshiba DVD units; model SD-1700U that are
experiencing very distorted audio. I have followed several postings
regarding some of these players with bad or no audio, but I am still
uncertain what needs to be replaced, component-wise. Is the problem on
the PC-Main card or the Pwr-Sub assy board? Any would be very
appreciated.

Pat
Mark D. Zacharias

Ooh! My ears burned.

Actually, I'm not the one with experience on these, but I've seen lots of
posts on these Toshiba's and I've tried to re-post info I've found.

I'll be right back with the info.

Mark Z.

"Bill Bolle" wrote in message
Patrick Tinney wrote:

I recently acquired two Toshiba DVD units; model SD-1700U that are
experiencing very distorted audio. I have followed several postings
regarding some of these players with bad or no audio, but I am still
uncertain what needs to be replaced, component-wise. Is the problem on
the PC-Main card or the Pwr-Sub assy board? Any would be very
appreciated.

Pat

The biggest problem with this model is the caps on the "main" board.
If you have a capacitor checker check all the caps on that board but
if the only thing you have is an ohmmeter than use that. The
schematic is very hard to come by as it's only available on a $50 CD
from Toshiba. Also, you might try to "ping" Mark Zacharias, he is
familiar with the problem.

Bill

Mark D. Zacharias

Well, this is all I could find on my computer. There'd be more using Google.

"Toshiba had a problem with the SD1700, SD1750,
and SD2700 models.

Q801 (PN# 79050088) would short blowing F801
(PN# 79087008).

The fix for it was to replace Q801 and F801.
Also replace D808 a 30 volt zener diode with
a 6.8 volt zener at .5 watt (PN# 79060029).
Next add a 56k ohm .25 watt -/+ 2% carbon film
resistor between the gate and ground of Q801.

Check the value of R808 as well. Sorry the
value was not in the bulletin.

WM "

And here's one on the audio problem, don't know the author.

"This is the second failure for this unit. Based on various posts,
this is a problem for several Toshiba models (the one here is
the SD-400V).

The negative supply to the audio opamp disappears. The first
failure was a bypass capacitor on pin 4 of the opamp. The
second failure was a bypass capacitor on the base of the
switching transistor that controls the negative supply to the
audio opamp.

Both capacitors are 16V, 100 uF and are marked SMG
(Samsung?).

There are a lot of these capacitors in this player. I think I'll
trash it the next time it fails. Had the same situation with
a Sony camcorder ... multiple failures of electrolytic capacitors."

Mark Z.

nk.net...

"Bill Bolle" wrote in message
Patrick Tinney wrote:

I recently acquired two Toshiba DVD units; model SD-1700U that are
experiencing very distorted audio. I have followed several postings
regarding some of these players with bad or no audio, but I am still
uncertain what needs to be replaced, component-wise. Is the problem on
the PC-Main card or the Pwr-Sub assy board? Any would be very
appreciated.

Pat

The biggest problem with this model is the caps on the "main" board.
If you have a capacitor checker check all the caps on that board but
if the only thing you have is an ohmmeter than use that. The
schematic is very hard to come by as it's only available on a $50 CD
from Toshiba. Also, you might try to "ping" Mark Zacharias, he is
familiar with the problem.

Bill

Bill Bolle

"Bill Bolle" wrote in message

Patrick Tinney wrote:

I recently acquired two Toshiba DVD units; model SD-1700U that are
experiencing very distorted audio. I have followed several postings
regarding some of these players with bad or no audio, but I am still
uncertain what needs to be replaced, component-wise. Is the problem on
the PC-Main card or the Pwr-Sub assy board? Any would be very
appreciated.

Pat

The biggest problem with this model is the caps on the "main" board.
If you have a capacitor checker check all the caps on that board but
if the only thing you have is an ohmmeter than use that. The
schematic is very hard to come by as it's only available on a $50 CD
from Toshiba. Also, you might try to "ping" Mark Zacharias, he is
familiar with the problem.

Bill

Sorry!!!! I had a problem with my unit quite some time ago but lost
the correspondence that I had with the person that helped me out. I
really thought that it was you. Sorry for puting you on the spot.

Bill

LASERandDVDfan

I recently acquired two Toshiba DVD units; model SD-1700U that are
experiencing very distorted audio.

Replace capacitors C926, C927, C928, and C929 on the main media board. The
caps are located near the connector which links the media board to the power
supply. They will be rated at 100 microfarads at 16 volts and are polarized.

Use caps rated at 100 microfarads with a voltage tolerance that is at least 25
volts. You can go with a higher voltage rated cap, but make sure that the cap
won't be too big to properly fit it in place. Observe correct polarity when
installing the new caps. - Reinhart

Mark D. Zacharias

Not a problem. Here's a little more I found on this.

mz

Quote:
"I fixed my SD-1700 Toshiba with the replacement of only one capacitor,
on the main board, that had a 25 ohm leakage. This bad cap caused a
disruption of all the regulated power supplies and that will affect
the front panel display and just about all the functions of the
player. My problem was just the loss of the front panel display and
I think that it was Mark that clued me in on the fix. I tried to get
a schematic for the player from Toshiba but they only sell it on DVD
for $50. Quit arguing and just replace the caps-------it costs less
then a buck.

Bill"

Quote:
"From: Bill Bolle
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: TOSHIBA-1700u
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:59:01 -0800

I have read other messages about audio problems with this player and
they all seemed to center around bad capacitors on the main board. I had
a problem with my 1700, it was a loss of front panel display, and I
fixed it by replacing a shorted electrolytic on that main board (it
caused a loss of the regulated power supplies). I think that it would
be best to start out by checking all those caps.
Bill"