Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Vintage synthesizers are sometimes cantankerous

I'm building a demo system in my lab, and not one, but _both_ of my
HP3325A synthesizers went flatline.

One had almost no output, missing attenuator steps, and distorted wave
shapes, and the other one flunked two of its three self-tests. Not good.

Turned out that ripping out the relay boards and cleaning the contacts
and connectors with DeOxit fixed both of them. (Score.)

(Thanks to the estimable Herbert Susmann for his web page.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message ...

I'm building a demo system in my lab, and not one, but _both_ of my
HP3325A synthesizers went flatline.

One had almost no output, missing attenuator steps, and distorted wave
shapes, and the other one flunked two of its three self-tests. Not good.

Turned out that ripping out the relay boards and cleaning the contacts
and connectors with DeOxit fixed both of them. (Score.)

(Thanks to the estimable Herbert Susmann for his web page.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--

Bugger, for a minute there I thought you were talking about a Minimoog or an
ARP.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message ...

I'm building a demo system in my lab, and not one, but _both_ of my
HP3325A synthesizers went flatline.

One had almost no output, missing attenuator steps, and distorted wave
shapes, and the other one flunked two of its three self-tests. Not good.

Turned out that ripping out the relay boards and cleaning the contacts
and connectors with DeOxit fixed both of them. (Score.)

(Thanks to the estimable Herbert Susmann for his web page.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--

Bugger, for a minute there I thought you were talking about a Minimoog or an
ARP.

That's what I was thinking.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Phil Hobbs wrote:

(Thanks to the estimable Herbert Susmann for his web page.)

Ok Phil, I give up. I find some youtube comments and some google+
comments, but I don't think either would qualify as a web page bout
3325's, and herbsusmann.com seems to be a programmer with little
hardware (though he mentions a father who's an EE, so might be a son -
still, no 3325A info there.)

And no, I still haven't opened mine up for fixing yet. Find the last of
the tax paperwork and get that out of the way, then I might be able to
clear the decks for it (obviously I like it, I use it from time to time,
but it's not critical to my daily routine, at the rate I put off fixing
it. I'd just prefer to have some certainty I can get in and get out,
rather than have it half dis-assembled for a while and let the cats lose
parts of it for me...)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 04/01/2015 12:05 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Phil Hobbs wrote:

(Thanks to the estimable Herbert Susmann for his web page.)

Ok Phil, I give up. I find some youtube comments and some google+
comments, but I don't think either would qualify as a web page bout
3325's, and herbsusmann.com seems to be a programmer with little
hardware (though he mentions a father who's an EE, so might be a son -
still, no 3325A info there.)

And no, I still haven't opened mine up for fixing yet. Find the last of
the tax paperwork and get that out of the way, then I might be able to
clear the decks for it (obviously I like it, I use it from time to time,
but it's not critical to my daily routine, at the rate I put off fixing
it. I'd just prefer to have some certainty I can get in and get out,
rather than have it half dis-assembled for a while and let the cats lose
parts of it for me...)

It was just a comment, actually, but it's on his Google+ page.
http://tinyurl.com/myxsbpv

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Hobbs wrote:

I'm building a demo system in my lab, and not one, but _both_ of my
HP3325A synthesizers went flatline.

One had almost no output, missing attenuator steps, and distorted wave
shapes, and the other one flunked two of its three self-tests. Not good.

Turned out that ripping out the relay boards and cleaning the contacts
and connectors with DeOxit fixed both of them. (Score.)

(Thanks to the estimable Herbert Susmann for his web page.)

Yup, some years ago I rebuilt an HP 5100A synth (the original 1964 model
that took up about 2 feet of rack space.) It had hundreds of PNP Germanium
transistors in it, and about 15 of them had gone bad. I flipped it on eBay
as soon as I got it working, before any more transistors popped. Silicon
UHF transistors were a beautiful drop-in replacement. The rows of selector
button switches were also somewhat flaky.

Jon

vintage IC data ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 7 September 7th 14 02:04 AM
Vintage Chairs jameshaines Woodworking 5 June 19th 14 09:26 PM
Vintage Projects Guy King UK diy 10 May 31st 06 10:08 AM
JVC vintage videorecorder Daniele - Skrauso Electronics Repair 9 January 21st 04 01:09 PM
FA: Lot of Vintage TV components [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 December 14th 03 08:35 PM