RoyP4

Default tv repair

I am trying to locate the blue convergence ic on my Pioneer SD-P5193K
projection television. Can anyone help me with this ?

Thank you in advance,
Roy Parnell

Arthur Jernberg

Most likely mounted on the convergence panel physically located behind the
access panel at the front of the tele.
"Bill Jr" wrote in message
m...
That would be IC2319 listed as STK392-110

Bill Jr

"RoyP4" wrote in message
I am trying to locate the blue convergence ic on my Pioneer SD-P5193K
projection television. Can anyone help me with this ?

Thank you in advance,
Roy Parnell

Art

Replacment of the picture tube which probably will not be cost effective on
a 19" tele.
"Cindybear" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:19:35 -0600, "Dave T."
wrote:

I have a 19" TV with a 1/8" diameter chip in the screen from an incident
involving a flying screwdriver (don't ask). I'm thinking I'm screwed and
will have to buy a new TV but I'm wondering if there is a cheap fix for
this? I suppose I could take it to an auto glass shop and have them fill
it, but that's more of a structural instead of a cosmetic repair, right?
I've been watching the TV with the chip but it's getting more and more
annoying.

A good place for this question is sci.electronics.repair. I've
crossposted it there...

half_pint.

I suppose if it was filled with a material of the correct
refractive index (glass presumeable) it would be less
noticable.
However you are probably still going to get
reflection at the join.

I was thinking of how small scratches on CDs can be
fixed (supposidly anyway) by filling with an apporpiate material.

It can hardly make it any worse anyway.

Another option might be 'resurfacing' but maybe to
expensive and dangerous.

wrote:

I have a 19" TV with a 1/8" diameter chip in the screen from an incident
involving a flying screwdriver (don't ask). I'm thinking I'm screwed and
will have to buy a new TV but I'm wondering if there is a cheap fix for
this? I suppose I could take it to an auto glass shop and have them fill
it, but that's more of a structural instead of a cosmetic repair, right?
I've been watching the TV with the chip but it's getting more and more
annoying.

A good place for this question is sci.electronics.repair. I've
crossposted it there...

Michael A. Covington

I'd suggest filling it in with the automotive stuff. The refractive index
of the stuff has to be much closer to that of glass (1.5) than to that of
air (1.0).

How *deep* is the chip? Is this the front of the picture tube itself or is
there protective glass in front of it? A picture tube can burst rather
violently when broken, because of the vacuum inside.

Dave T.

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message
I'd suggest filling it in with the automotive stuff. The refractive index
of the stuff has to be much closer to that of glass (1.5) than to that of
air (1.0).

How *deep* is the chip? Is this the front of the picture tube itself or

is
there protective glass in front of it? A picture tube can burst rather
violently when broken, because of the vacuum inside.

It's not terribly deep and I think the chip is confined to the protective
glass, but I'm not sure how you would be able to tell if it was the tube
that was chipped. If the tube decided to self-destruct, would I have to
worry about flying glass?

Sam Goldwasser

"Dave T." writes:

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message
I'd suggest filling it in with the automotive stuff. The refractive index
of the stuff has to be much closer to that of glass (1.5) than to that of
air (1.0).

How *deep* is the chip? Is this the front of the picture tube itself or

is
there protective glass in front of it? A picture tube can burst rather
violently when broken, because of the vacuum inside.

It's not terribly deep and I think the chip is confined to the protective
glass, but I'm not sure how you would be able to tell if it was the tube
that was chipped. If the tube decided to self-destruct, would I have to
worry about flying glass?

There may not be any protective glass - it's just a single piece.

CRT implosion is a very violent event, but also a low probability one
if it's only a small chip.

You'll probably never totally eliminate the appearance of the chip.
So, if it's in an very annoying location, probably a good excuse to get
a new TV.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

David J. Martin

groo wrote:

Not to worry 'cause worry is wasteful and useless in times like these.
Don't worry, be happy. Don't worry baby, everything will turn out all
right.

But you wouldn't want to be nearby if it happened. Sitting a few feet in
front of it would be a particularly bad place to be.

You might want to ask yourself questions like "Why did they make that
picture tube that exact thickness?" and "How much safety margin does that
particular CRT manufacturer believe is adequate?" and "Does a brittle
substance really become much more prone to fracture when a small surface
defect is present?" and "Do I really want to risk high velocity shards of
glass flying at me when I'm watching Reno 911?" and "How much money are
my eyes worth to me?". And you may ask yourself - Well...How did I get
here?

Same as it ever was.

David
Dave T.

"groo" wrote in message
0...
"Dave T." wrote in
:

[...]

This is not my beautiful house!

Uh, anyway, I took a closer look at the chip over the weekend, and as far as
I can tell the screwdriver put a very small (~1 mm diam.) hole in the outer
piece of glass. It looks like there is a small (couple mm) gap and *then*
the surface of the tube, which appears to be unscathed. I don't know if
that makes sense, but that's what I saw. I'm thinking about getting the
glass repair doo-hickey from the auto parts store. Meanwhile, I will
continue wearing safety goggles while I watch Reno 911.

Cotton Eyed Joe

"David J. Martin" wrote in message ...
groo wrote:

[...]

And why is my coat so damned big?