Posted to comp.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default Extreme Repair of a Burnt PCB

On 14/11/14 23:50, Rich wrote:
http://hackaday.com/2014/11/13/extre...-a-burnt-pcb/#

[xsdb] had a real problem. His JBL L8400P 600 watt subwoofer went up in
flames ? literally. Four of the large capacitors on the board had bulged
and leaked. The electrolyte then caused a short in the mains AC section
of the board, resulting in a flare up. Thankfully the flames were
contained to the amplifier board. [xsdb's] house, possessions, and
subwoofer enclosure were all safe. The amplifier board however, had seen
better days. Most of us would have cut our losses and bought a new
setup. Not [xsdb] he took on the most extreme PCB repair we've seen in a
long time.

(added sci.electronics.repair)

I wouldn't quite call this extreme...

--
Adrian C
Posted to comp.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 11/15/2014, 6:04 AM, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 14/11/14 23:50, Rich wrote:
http://hackaday.com/2014/11/13/extre...-a-burnt-pcb/#

[xsdb] had a real problem. His JBL L8400P 600 watt subwoofer went
up in
flames ? literally. Four of the large capacitors on the board had
bulged
and leaked. The electrolyte then caused a short in the mains AC
section
of the board, resulting in a flare up. Thankfully the flames were
contained to the amplifier board. [xsdb's] house, possessions, and
subwoofer enclosure were all safe. The amplifier board however,
had seen
better days. Most of us would have cut our losses and bought a new
setup. Not [xsdb] he took on the most extreme PCB repair we've
seen in a
long time.

(added sci.electronics.repair)

I wouldn't quite call this extreme...

Maybe not extreme, but it was clever, very clever...

I've rebuilt PCBs using epoxy to make flat surfaces and then used old
PCB repair trace kit to make replacement traces. Making a small PCB from
some good photos is certainly a good idea!

Extreme might be if you had to do this on the ISS (International Space
Station) for the life support logic PCB.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to comp.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 14/11/14 23:50, Rich wrote:
[...]

Or even Apollo 13. Crew saved by making a life-support CO2 filter from
plastic bag, a manual cover and gaffer tape, now that was extreme repair
Posted to comp.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 14/11/14 23:50, Rich wrote:
[...]

True, but we were talking about extreme PCB repair. Loved the movie, and
remember the incident (I'm a wee bit north of 60 you might say).

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Burnt Outlet Davej Home Repair 26 March 7th 14 12:36 AM
Burnt Wire camryguy89 Home Repair 17 September 10th 09 01:41 PM
Extreme electronics repair David Nebenzahl Electronics Repair 15 April 6th 09 04:20 AM
Burnt Electrode - Rod.JPG (1/1) Al Electronic Schematics 17 October 26th 07 02:41 AM
Burnt Chip GregS Electronics Repair 0 April 5th 06 09:18 PM