Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tips to Loosen Electric Motor Bolts?

Recently was unable to loosen the bolts of an electric fan motor that needs rebuilding.

Have never had this problem before so my first thought is the bolts have a high strength thread locker.

Did a forum search to check if anyone else had mentioned this problem but found nothing.

Am interested in all suggestions to loosen these bolts.

Thanks

Ken
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 07:23:56 -0700, KenO wrote:

Recently was unable to loosen the bolts of an electric fan motor that
needs rebuilding.

Have never had this problem before so my first thought is the bolts have
a high strength thread locker.

Did a forum search to check if anyone else had mentioned this problem
but found nothing.

Am interested in all suggestions to loosen these bolts.

Thanks

Ken

Had a similar problem with part of a sewing machine that had got gummed
up. Only thing that helped was to put it in front of a fan heater until
the whole machine was almost too hot to handle!

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/10/14 10:23 PM, KenO wrote:
Recently was unable to loosen the bolts of an electric fan motor that needs rebuilding.

Have never had this problem before so my first thought is the bolts have a high strength thread locker.

Did a forum search to check if anyone else had mentioned this problem but found nothing.

Am interested in all suggestions to loosen these bolts.

Thanks

Ken

As said some localised heat (gas torch) preceeded by a squirt of some
penetrant like wd40, penetrene etc and use a correct size socket or ring
spanner.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Recently was unable to loosen the bolts of an electric fan motor that needs rebuilding.

Have never had this problem before so my first thought is the bolts have a high strength thread locker.

Did a forum search to check if anyone else had mentioned this problem but found nothing.

Am interested in all suggestions to loosen these bolts.

As said some localised heat (gas torch) preceeded by a squirt of some
penetrant like wd40, penetrene etc and use a correct size socket or ring
spanner.

Hitting it with a gas-torch flame, after having sprayed it with a
penetrant which is made up of a high percentage of flammable petroleum
distillates?

That seems like a Really Bad Idea. Not quite as bad as the fabled
"Hey, Bud, I think my truck's gas tank is empty... hold my beer while
I light a match and see if I can see any gasoline down the filler
pipe" but it's headed out in that general direction.

I'd use either heat, or a penetrating oil, but not both. In the OP's
situation, since a high-strength threadlocker was mentioned, I'd go
with localized heat - some of the Loctite (e.g.) formulas are designed
to soften when heated in this way.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/10/2014 1:23, KenO wrote:
Recently was unable to loosen the bolts of an electric fan motor that needs rebuilding.

Have never had this problem before so my first thought is the bolts have a high strength thread locker.

Did a forum search to check if anyone else had mentioned this problem but found nothing.

Am interested in all suggestions to loosen these bolts.

Thanks

Ken

What is the body of the motor made of?

aluminium / aluminum can grow around the bolts.

Colin

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 06/10/2014 15:23, KenO wrote:
Recently was unable to loosen the bolts of an electric fan motor that needs rebuilding.

Have never had this problem before so my first thought is the bolts have a high strength thread locker.

Did a forum search to check if anyone else had mentioned this problem but found nothing.

Am interested in all suggestions to loosen these bolts.

Thanks

Ken

You do not say size of bolts, but an old big? soldering iron laid
against the bolt for whatever time ,may be more manageable source of
heat to disrupt threadlock
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, October 6, 2014 7:23:46 PM UTC-4, David Platt wrote:

Hitting it with a gas-torch flame, after having sprayed it with a

penetrant which is made up of a high percentage of flammable petroleum

distillates?

That seems like a Really Bad Idea.

Good idea if you like making exciting youtube videos..

When torching stubborn fasteners I follow it up with a rub with a piece of paraffin. When the fastener is hot enough, it wicks the wax in the threads. Nice thing about this is that you don't need to keep reheating the fastener if it's got a lot of turns.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/10/14 6:33 AM, John-Del wrote:
On Monday, October 6, 2014 7:23:46 PM UTC-4, David Platt wrote:

Hitting it with a gas-torch flame, after having sprayed it with a

penetrant which is made up of a high percentage of flammable petroleum

distillates?

That seems like a Really Bad Idea.

Good idea if you like making exciting youtube videos..

When torching stubborn fasteners I follow it up with a rub with a piece of paraffin. When the fastener is hot enough, it wicks the wax in the threads. Nice thing about this is that you don't need to keep reheating the fastener if it's got a lot of turns.

Yeah, well I was assuming some experience there. Naturally the idea was
to leave it soaking overnight or whatever for a few hours and then
trying the heat. A method I used for many years (even before the fetish
of regaling others with films of self stupidity). Also the method was
applied after the localised heat was tried.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , KenO
writes
Recently was unable to loosen the bolts of an electric fan motor that
needs rebuilding.

Have never had this problem before so my first thought is the bolts
have a high strength thread locker.

Did a forum search to check if anyone else had mentioned this problem
but found nothing.

Am interested in all suggestions to loosen these bolts.

Thanks

Ken

As well as the other suggestions, like all seized bolts that are not
budging, initially try to TIGHTEN them a little.
--
Ian