Senior Member

Question Vertical line on LG Flatron L1715S 17" LCD monitor

I dismantled an LG Flatron L1715S 17" LCD monitor today to clean the screen and backlight.

Now when I power it on, there is a fine vertical line from top to bottom on the screen? The colour of the line varies when the screen is on.

I have checked all the cables are firmly in on the interface boards. Wiggling the connectors to the screen doesn't make any difference.

Last edited by M.Joshi : September 14th 14 at 10:04 PM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Vertical line on LG Flatron L1715S 17" LCD

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:24:38 +0200, M.Joshi wrote:

I dismantled an LG Flatron L1715S 17" LCD today to clean the screen and
backlight.

Now when I power it on, there is a fine vertical line from top to bottom
on the screen? The colour of the line varies when the screen is on.

I have checked all the cables are firmly in on the interface boards.
Wiggling the connectors to the screen doesn't make any difference.

You've bumped one of the connections from LCD driver to LCD panel
(the part that has long, narrow chips mounted on flexible PCB), killing
one line drive? I doubt it is repairable.

Grant.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:24:38 PM UTC-4, M. Joshi wrote:
I dismantled an LG Flatron L1715S 17" LCD today to clean the screen and

backlight.

Now when I power it on, there is a fine vertical line from top to bottom

on the screen? The colour of the line varies when the screen is on.

M.Joshi

It's done. A single line means a failure in the bonded ribbon between the display and the interface board. You might be able to revive it temporarily by using a compression apparatus (foam) if you can locate the point of separation, but it's a long shot.

Senior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Del View Post
On Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:24:38 PM UTC-4, M. Joshi wrote:
I dismantled an LG Flatron L1715S 17" LCD today to clean the screen and

backlight.

Now when I power it on, there is a fine vertical line from top to bottom

on the screen? The colour of the line varies when the screen is on.

M.Joshi

It's done. A single line means a failure in the bonded ribbon between the display and the interface board. You might be able to revive it temporarily by using a compression apparatus (foam) if you can locate the point of separation, but it's a long shot.
I did try exerting pressure on the bonded ribbon along the panel with the LCD on, but there was no change in the line?

Could the line be caused by a loose wire in the loom between the display board (processing and VGA connector) and the LCD interface board? I did at one point have to apply quite a bit of pressure to remove the loom connector.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Could the line be caused by a loose wire in the loom between the display

board (processing and VGA connector) and the LCD interface board? I did

at one point have to apply quite a bit of pressure to remove the loom

connector.

No. The only harness/ribbons that carry single line signals is between the glass substrate of the LCD display and the interface board it's bonded to.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You meant the picture is there with a vertical line on it or you have no picture at all and only a single pixel line? I can't imagine the mentioned unrepairable ribbon causing the second sympthom, the first probably.
If it is the second sympthom look at the connection that was hard to remove, it is likely not properly seated.