Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke 87 Replacement LCD

On Friday, April 9, 2010 3:37:32 PM UTC-5, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Need one.

I knocked the damned thing off the workbench and the display cracked
(again). But the usual on-line sources all list this as "out of stock".
It appears that Fluke no longer carries parts for the 87 (original).
From what I can see, all the service outfits that used to carry this
part got cleaned out fast when Fluke discontinued the part. So these
things must break quite often.

If these can't be had, I guess I'll be looking for a new multimeter with
the same specs. But I want one whe 1) high maintenance parts are
going to be kept in stock for the anticipated life of the product or 2)
a unit that is built well enough that the occasional plunge off the
bench doesn't cause irreplaceable parts to break.

I'd buy the the 87 mark 5, but I'm afraid that Fluke may not have solved
the fragile display problem and, in a few years, when that one takes a
tumble, I'll have to drop another $400 on the mark 6 model.

This kit came with the elastomers and good instructions. Worked for me. If LCD is cracked or broken, then kit won't work: http://shop.flukerepairkit.com/Fluke...t-87000001.htm
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Several eBay dealers offer replacement LCDs. I have no idea whether they're
OEM.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

On Friday, April 9, 2010 3:37:32 PM UTC-5, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Need one.

I knocked the damned thing off the workbench and the display cracked
(again). But the usual on-line sources all list this as "out of stock".
It appears that Fluke no longer carries parts for the 87 (original).
From what I can see, all the service outfits that used to carry this
part got cleaned out fast when Fluke discontinued the part. So these
things must break quite often.

If these can't be had, I guess I'll be looking for a new multimeter with
the same specs. But I want one whe 1) high maintenance parts are
going to be kept in stock for the anticipated life of the product or 2)
a unit that is built well enough that the occasional plunge off the
bench doesn't cause irreplaceable parts to break.

I'd buy the the 87 mark 5, but I'm afraid that Fluke may not have solved
the fragile display problem and, in a few years, when that one takes a
tumble, I'll have to drop another $400 on the mark 6 model.

This kit came with the elastomers and good instructions. Worked for me. If
LCD is cracked or broken, then kit won't work:
http://shop.flukerepairkit.com/Fluke...t-87000001.htm

Do you have the yellow rubber-like case protector covering your meter?
What series is it?

I have a Fluke 87 series III (3) with the yellow rubber holster and I've
found it to be very durable. Fluke supported these meters for many years
and they are well made! I used to fix them 18 to 22 years ago when they
first came out. There were fuseable resistors inside to protect the meter
in cases of over-voltage, I would test them and replace the odd one along
with fuses. I have replaced the odd display but not too often. Another
problem was too much dirt would collect inside the holes where the leads
plug in and meter give false alarms that the customer had the leads in the
wrong jacks.

I own two fluke meters, I think they are some of the best quality meters out
there. I don't sell them or repair them anymore; so this isn't a sales
pitch.

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I goofed. All the LCDs offered for sale are for the 87V.

It's not clear to me why simply dropping the unit should break the LCD.
Regardless, if you don't have the polymer case, you should get one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014, wrote:

On Friday, April 9, 2010 3:37:32 PM UTC-5, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Need one.

I knocked the damned thing off the workbench and the display cracked
(again). But the usual on-line sources all list this as "out of stock".
It appears that Fluke no longer carries parts for the 87 (original).
From what I can see, all the service outfits that used to carry this
part got cleaned out fast when Fluke discontinued the part. So these
things must break quite often.

If these can't be had, I guess I'll be looking for a new multimeter with
the same specs. But I want one whe 1) high maintenance parts are
going to be kept in stock for the anticipated life of the product or 2)
a unit that is built well enough that the occasional plunge off the
bench doesn't cause irreplaceable parts to break.

I'd buy the the 87 mark 5, but I'm afraid that Fluke may not have solved
the fragile display problem and, in a few years, when that one takes a
tumble, I'll have to drop another $400 on the mark 6 model.

This kit came with the elastomers and good instructions. Worked for me.
If LCD is cracked or broken, then kit won't work:
http://shop.flukerepairkit.com/Fluke...t-87000001.htm

And it's four years since that post, do you really think he needs the
information now? Either he's found it long ago, or moved on.

He may not even be reading this newsgroup anymore, I recognize the name,
but not sure when I last saw a post from him.

But since you did reply to a four year old post, now you've resurrected
this thread, so others jump in, not noticing it's an old thread. And what
solutions were offered at the time? Nobody's going back to check, not
everyone uses google.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/06/2014 14:57, Michael Black wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jun 2014, wrote:

On Friday, April 9, 2010 3:37:32 PM UTC-5, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Need one.

I knocked the damned thing off the workbench and the display cracked
(again). But the usual on-line sources all list this as "out of stock".
It appears that Fluke no longer carries parts for the 87 (original).
From what I can see, all the service outfits that used to carry this
[...]

Is it a human or a bot that is resurrecting this stuff, a whole series
of them, always supposed gmail account and no followup from the bot/human.
Whats it all about,? auto content production for some parasitic site
somewhere?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

Is it a human or a bot that is resurrecting this stuff, a whole series
of them, always supposed gmail account and no followup from the bot/human.
Whats it all about,? auto content production for some parasitic site
somewhere?

It's google and the way they ****ed up their version of usenet.

If you hit this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Fluke$2087$20Replacement$20LCD/sci.electronics.repair/jIFHbxaiZ80/kvtvF86w9zsJ

Note the way that the date is pushed off to the side (the right side).

Google tried to make usenet their own (groups) and mix up the results within
general search results. The usenet posts are made to look like everyone on
usenet is part of google.

I wish they would get rid of that ****ing thing and put back the original
dejanews archives.

-bruce

Fluke 77 DVM N_Cook Electronics Repair 12 January 23rd 14 10:39 AM
Fluke 87 Replacement LCD - Design Flaw [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 November 14th 13 10:01 PM
Fluke 87 LCD William Sommerwerck Electronics Repair 6 April 12th 08 11:52 PM
Fluke 99b marioripa Electronics Repair 1 February 15th 05 06:38 AM
Why do Fluke multimeter LCD displays fade? Any Fluke model immune? fancy nospam tunes Electronics Repair 6 February 2nd 05 08:09 PM