Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Broken notebook SVGA ext monitor output

I broke it using it as an active feed to determine the pinning to an
unknown proprietary input to a video projector.
There seems to be low level syncs ie not full level, RGB outs are
normal. What may have been the damage, maybe I connected it to the 5V
undroppered supply on the projector connector ,or a +/-9V RS232 line on
it or perhaps just hot-plugging. Broken TTL chip/fused fusible R/VTS
diode failed ?
I don't intend getting inside this notebook just to fix the monitor out,
I'll wait until something more disabling occures before I go venturing
inside, just curious what sort of damage I may have done.
No great problem as I acquired a USB to VGA adaptor plus driver
SW(useful for the situation when someone else's laptop may not have an
SVGA , to feed into this projector). Reminder to myself, next time, use
an old desktop pc with a sacrificable output card.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If nothing happens to the SVGA port from your whatever, there should be no problem. the chip inside is most likely protected by clamping diodes. you most likely shorted a couple of them with too much voltage.

You should know better. Testing out some **** like that ? Get a 386 and use one of those old ISA vidcards that they would pay you to take away.

And a USB video adapter is going to use some serious resouces. Look for less than stellar performance.

Were you around in the tube days ? Most techs I lnow who think they can just short anything to anything are from that era. We had to learn our way out of that when solid state came around. On tube TVs I had a one clip lead troubleshoting system that worked in about seven seconds. when I got iused to the new solid state sets it only took ffive seconds on them, even though you can't just short **** out like you could on the tube jobs. That was a whole idfferent world. I could rejuvinate a horizontal output or damper tube with a clip lead. You had to be fast or you would destrot god tubes.

High peak currents, nobody ever siad tubes liked them, except after they get weak, then it can reactivate the cathode and effectively repair the tube. Not shorts, I found very little luck blowing shorts out.

To a laptop ? No Man, you put the cheapest piece of **** vidcard you can find in someone's basement for **** like what you did. Know why ? Because replacing the clamping diodes you fried will cost more than the thing is worth.. what's more, we CANNOT be 100% sure they did their job and they might have fried out paert of the GPU. Wanna change anoput a 350 pin BGA ? THAT'S why you don't do **** like that.

Check it with an pohmmeter and see if anything is reading rsally low, if so, cut out all thiose diodes. It is either fixed or not.

the manufacturer puts those duiodes there to detect if the "customer" did some dumb **** and they can get out ofd a warranty clasim by claining abuse, which is a deifnite exclusion almost universally. They NEVER change those diodes, the fact that they are shorted is why they do not have to pay the warranty claim.

In your case, they may have saved your motherboard if you got too much time to put into it. MAYBE. Don't o**** on it. Alot of times these ar built right in the chip. In that case there may be little resistors in series with the pins. check them. Again, they are there to indemnify the manufacturer, not to protect you or any other end user.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Damn, I really cannot see anywhere near as fat as I can type. ****ing old eyes, and showeiwng it. I mena yes I am a bit lazy, but this is getting bad.