Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Broken notebook SVGA ext monitor output

I broke it using it as an active feed to determine the pinning to an
unknown proprietary input to a video projector.
There seems to be low level syncs ie not full level, RGB outs are
normal. What may have been the damage, maybe I connected it to the 5V
undroppered supply on the projector connector ,or a +/-9V RS232 line on
it or perhaps just hot-plugging. Broken TTL chip/fused fusible R/VTS
diode failed ?
I don't intend getting inside this notebook just to fix the monitor out,
I'll wait until something more disabling occures before I go venturing
inside, just curious what sort of damage I may have done.
No great problem as I acquired a USB to VGA adaptor plus driver
SW(useful for the situation when someone else's laptop may not have an
SVGA , to feed into this projector). Reminder to myself, next time, use
an old desktop pc with a sacrificable output card.