Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bleeding LCD displays

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

Speaking of optics - I remember a PC monitor with a slightly
concave faceplate, that was a pretty substantial slab of glass,
the things weighed a bloody ton!

Was it possibly one of those Zenith flat CRTs that really did look
concave? They were really weird looking, powered on or off.

Zernith made a 14" CRT for computer monitors with a flat face,
anticipating
Sony by about a decade. (The phosphors were laid down without the mask.
The
tolerances were so tight, that any mask would work with any faceplate,
simply
be dropping it into place.) Someone at work had one, and it did,
indeed,
look
odd.

Sony compensated for that optical illusion with a faintly bulging
screen.
have one of the 400-series WEGAs in my bedroom (it's been going strong
since
2000), and you can see the bulge if you stand the screen and look
downward.

The monitor wars from back then were amusing. Getting my first 15"
monitor
was a big deal, and they even had strange stuff like 16" monitors (Nanao
made those). Quite a few of the Taiwanese computer monitors were
actually
pretty good as well.

Once they really nailed good displays for computers, the cheap and
crappy
LCDs flooded the market.

I'm typing up this message on a Dell badged Sony Trinitron made in Sep,
2000. The retrace lines are appearing so it's time for some new caps at
some point.

Somewhere in the back of the garage I have about 8 CPD15s (some badged as
Dell).

Since finding an analogue LCD TV with a VGA socket on the back in the bin
room at the flats, the Sonys haven't got any nearer to being dragged
inside
and repaired.

I can't bring myself to tossing my monitor mountain, and most still work
fine (that's why they are still here.)

Some of the bulbous screen monitors in the garage work, but as long as the
LCD monitor (AKA TV) holds out, the non-trinitrons are likely to get hit for
component harvest before the sonys.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Hobbs wrote:

When I was a kid, I used to get dead TVs and take them apart for the
components. To get rid of the picture tubes, I put them in a Rubbermaid
trash can and shot out the faceplate with my slingshot.

Great fun--glass _everywhere_.

I used to take a tiny triangle file and file a notch in the
evacuation seal till it started to hiss, and let it sit. The hissing
scared the crap out of people who didn't belong in my shop.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.