Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Re-using laptop displays....

Not me ) wrote:

Has anyone _ever_ found a laptop model that the screen could somewhat
easily be salvaged for use as a standalone display?

The problem is that the Laptop displays do use a standard not found on other
equipment for digital data transfer. Although it is mechanically and
electrically compatible with your standard DVI-Out on the computer, it uses
a different digital encoding ( You know, like Gray, BCD and what there is
more ). I am not sure if it was LVDS what they use, or if LVDS was the
standard DVI-Ports utilize.

Basically: When you manage to get a PC to produce the correct signals on the
DVI, you are hot an running - it could be that the problem could be solved
in software, but I am not sure.
You can write to Samsung's or Philips Tech support and ask for the pinout of
their displays "on the display controllers connector" - otherwise youget a
sub-D HD15 pinout sended - or a DVI one.

Hope tis helps a little - maybe you poke your nose into my message 6
messages earlier as a return - perhaps you have an idea I could use.

Many thanks, and hope you had wonderfull Christmas days.
--
Sincerely

Ruediger

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Rüdiger wrote:
Not me ) wrote:

[...]

Theres also the remote desktop route, probably the most practical
option for these. Is there such a thing as a linux live remote desktop
cd?

NT