Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mystery apparatus.

A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28/02/2014 06:46, David Farber wrote:
A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

A sliding cup missing from the rod part ? What weights , hung for test
purposes yardarm-like, on the rod part will bring the cylinder to
horizontal ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28/02/2014 06:46, David Farber wrote:
A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

It's a monitor audio stylift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-0-FiuqRU

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/28/2014 02:09 AM, Adrian C wrote:
On 28/02/2014 06:46, David Farber wrote:
A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or
used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

It's a monitor audio stylift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-0-FiuqRU

Jeez, more unicorns.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/28/2014 2:09 AM, Adrian C wrote:
On 28/02/2014 06:46, David Farber wrote:
A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or
used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

It's a monitor audio stylift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-0-FiuqRU

Ah, this gizmo:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=472866

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/28/2014 07:36 AM, John Robertson wrote:
On 02/28/2014 2:09 AM, Adrian C wrote:
On 28/02/2014 06:46, David Farber wrote:
A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or
used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

It's a monitor audio stylift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-0-FiuqRU

Ah, this gizmo:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=472866

John :-#)#

I feel sorry for people who can't work a tone arm without mechanical
help. Clue, use your "pinkie" finger as a miniature monopole (for
stability). Pivot your other fingers. Lowish light beyond the arm is
very helpful for finding the quiet parts on the platter and placing the
stylus. I never had the patience for damped cuing levers. Not bragging,
just sharing.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Ummph. This does ring a bell... in fact I think I had one much like
it many decades ago, as part of an AR turntable setup.

If I'm right, it's an automatic tonearm raiser accessory, for use with
manual turntable/tonearm systems such as the AR XA which had none
built-in. It's designed to lift the tonearm off of the record once
the whole side of the record has been played and the stylus enters the
lead-out groove.

You place the base of it on the turntable plinth, between the tonearm
pivot and the edge of the platter. You position it so that the
tonearm will contact it only when the stylus is in the leadout
groove, and set the height adjustment so that the point of contact
with be above the pivot in the center of the weighted rod.

Before playing a side of the album, you "flip" it into the "armed"
position... in photo 2, you would rotate the weighted arm clockwise by
just over 1/2 turn. The weighted section will be just past the
upright position, stopped from falling down (further clockwise) when
the long rod contacts the adjustment screw at the bottom.

When the tonearm finishes playing the LP, it will move into the
leadout groove, and the tonearm shaft will contact the (delicately
balanced) weighted section and gently push it back counter-clockwise
past vertical. The weighted section then continues to drop, the rod
rotates counterclockwise up under the tonearm shaft, and lifts the
tonearm off of the record.

Yeah, it's a klugy idea... but if I remember properly (it's been 40
years) it does actually work if properly set up and aligned.

Now, I could be wrong... this could be part of an aftermarket
"anti-skate" system for the turntable arm... but since I don't see a
hole in the end of the long rod into which a thread would fit (to go
over to the back of the turntable counterweight) I tend to think not.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Platt's explanation is correct. I remember the device. I think our store
sold it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, David Platt wrote:

A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Ummph. This does ring a bell... in fact I think I had one much like
it many decades ago, as part of an AR turntable setup.

If I'm right, it's an automatic tonearm raiser accessory, for use with
manual turntable/tonearm systems such as the AR XA which had none
built-in. It's designed to lift the tonearm off of the record once
the whole side of the record has been played and the stylus enters the
lead-out groove.

My Lenco L-133 turntable bought towards the end of 1978 had that function
built in. I had to manually place the arm and then move the lever to
lower the arm, but when the record ended, the arm automatically rose, and
the motor turned off. I always thought it was a great feature, though I
had at least one record where it didn't work, the record just kept going
around in circles with the needle in the groove.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/28/2014 02:26 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

You can get the AR-XA turntable to run backwards by simply spinning it
backwards while turning on the power. That's the turntable I honed my
tonearm lifting finesse on, vs the Rek-o-kuts and Grays of early '60s
combo operation (these tracked at 4 plus grams so they had little
inclination to fly away if you misjudged your grab.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:
On 02/28/2014 2:09 AM, Adrian C wrote:
On 28/02/2014 06:46, David Farber wrote:
A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that
looks like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't
seen it or used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

It's a monitor audio stylift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-0-FiuqRU

Ah, this gizmo:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=472866

John :-#)#

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the terrific answers and links!

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 28/02/2014 06:46, David Farber wrote:
A friend of mine passed along a couple of photos of something that looks
like some sort of jig, perhaps turntable related. He hasn't seen it or
used
it in so long that he can't remember what it is. Any ideas?

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-device-2.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

It's a monitor audio stylift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-0-FiuqRU

--
Adrian C

Hats off to the person that posted the Youtube clip.

"I want to show how this device works, so I'll just position the camera in
about the most inappropriate place possible ..." :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily har bragt dette til os:

"Adrian C" wrote in message

It's a monitor audio stylift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-0-FiuqRU

-- Adrian C

Hats off to the person that posted the Youtube clip.

"I want to show how this device works, so I'll just position the camera in
about the most inappropriate place possible ..." :-)

Arfa

Perhaps somebody never have seen a turntable before, but showing a
3-minute video of a turntable, where only the last 5 seconds show the
arm being lifted is rather wasteful.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Cheap breathing apparatus mike Home Repair 20 April 12th 10 08:09 AM
Well Mystery [email protected] Home Repair 18 November 28th 06 03:55 AM
Well Mystery [email protected] Home Ownership 18 November 28th 06 03:55 AM
Tap mystery Paul Andrews UK diy 10 May 24th 06 10:01 AM
Name That Mystery Box Harry Home Repair 3 July 25th 05 05:52 AM