Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default $&*(*%!!!

I'd been listening to a Sony SRF-80W (the original FM Walkman) while on the
treadmill. Several weeks ago it developed loud post-volume-control blasting
noises, so I went back to my iRiver.

Two electrolytics were the likely culprits. Yesterday I finally got around to
pulling out the 'scope, to confirm the diagnosis.

Yup. You guessed it.

The blasting was gone. So was the stereo. I adjusted the PLL lock pot (which
I'd done on several samples of this unit, including this one) -- and it
refused to lock. (This is not a critical adjustment. It can easily be done "by
ear".)

Isn't it fun to own classic, high-quality products that stop working -- and
there's no straightforward way to fix them?

Maybe when the weather warms up, it'll start working again. (Nah...)

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 20, 2014 7:39:09 AM UTC-6, William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'd been listening to a Sony SRF-80W (the original FM Walkman) while on the treadmill. Several weeks ago it developed loud post-volume-control blasting noises, so I went back to my iRiver. Two electrolytics were the likely culprits. Yesterday I finally got around to pulling out the 'scope, to confirm the diagnosis. Yup. You guessed it. The blasting was gone. So was the stereo. I adjusted the PLL lock pot (which I'd done on several samples of this unit, including this one) -- and it refused to lock. (This is not a critical adjustment. It can easily be done "by ear".) Isn't it fun to own classic, high-quality products that stop working -- and there's no straightforward way to fix them? Maybe when the weather warms up, it'll start working again. (Nah...) "We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions." -- Edwin Land

Put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours and see what happens.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 05:39:09 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

The blasting was gone. So was the stereo.

Any chance you put the electrolytics in backwards? That's my favorite
mistake.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...

Put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours and see what happens.

The Pacific Northwest has been "the refrigerator" for the past two months!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

The blasting was gone. So was the stereo.

Any chance you put the electrolytics in backwards?
That's my favorite mistake.

I hadn't replaced them. The original problem had seemingly cured itself. Then
the radio developed another problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 20, 2014 8:39:09 AM UTC-5, William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

About a year ago I was repairing my old Grundig "Transistor 305" AM/FM portable radio. I used to ride around The Bronx when I was a kid with this radio strapped to my bicycle. It's a nice old radio circa 1970. It had become intermittent and was driving me crazy. I posted it to this group along with the schematic posted somewhere else. (I don't remember how I did this but I had help), so that everyone interested could see it, and I got advice and help from all over the world. It was amazing. One guy from Sweden even sent me a set of germanium transistors and diodes for it. I also included with this good and bad voltages taken. It was months and my own radio so I kept at it and "we" eventually found the flaky coupling cap that was causing the problem. I hope that your experience is as positive as mine was. BTW if you think the Northwest is cold, try New Hampshire. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...

About a year ago I was repairing my old Grundig "Transistor 305"
AM/FM portable radio. I used to ride around The Bronx when I was
a kid with this radio strapped to my bicycle. ... I kept at it and "we"
eventually found the flaky coupling cap that was causing the problem.
I hope that your experience is as positive as mine was.

I assume it was fairly easy to unsolder and replace parts. This little unit is
crammed with parts, making that difficult to do. The subminiature
electrolytics are increasingly hard to find. I'll wait until Spring arrives,
then give it another shot.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
wrote in message ...

About a year ago I was repairing my old Grundig "Transistor 305"
AM/FM portable radio. I used to ride around The Bronx when I was
a kid with this radio strapped to my bicycle. ... I kept at it and "we"
eventually found the flaky coupling cap that was causing the problem.
I hope that your experience is as positive as mine was.

I assume it was fairly easy to unsolder and replace parts. This little unit is
crammed with parts, making that difficult to do. The subminiature
electrolytics are increasingly hard to find. I'll wait until Spring arrives,
then give it another shot.

You have to love those super tiny caps and that amzingly thin stranded
wire.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message ...

[...]

I would suggest some Percussive Maintenance; drop it on the floor from about
5 feet up. If it still doesn't work, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
;-))

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
[...]

I really need to look at my treadmill. Been figuring something in power
supply. It will keep shutting down while in use. I keep thinking caps.

Greg