Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default $&*(*%!!!

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
I'd been listening to a Sony SRF-80W (the original FM Walkman) while on
the treadmill. Several weeks ago it developed loud post-volume-control
blasting noises, so I went back to my iRiver.

Two electrolytics were the likely culprits. Yesterday I finally got
around to pulling out the 'scope, to confirm the diagnosis.

Yup. You guessed it.

The blasting was gone. So was the stereo. I adjusted the PLL lock pot
(which I'd done on several samples of this unit, including this one) --
and it refused to lock. (This is not a critical adjustment. It can easily
be done "by ear".)

Isn't it fun to own classic, high-quality products that stop working --
and there's no straightforward way to fix them?

Maybe when the weather warms up, it'll start working again. (Nah...)

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land

I really need to look at my treadmill. Been figuring something in power
supply. It will keep shutting down while in use. I keep thinking caps.

Greg