Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tektronix 475 scope

Hi,

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing, either under the cap or to chassis. How do I get to it? (yes I have already got the outer casing off) Is it already a boat anchor?
Allan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/4/2013 2:03 AM, Allan Mac wrote:

Hi,

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing, either under the cap or to chassis. How do I get to it? (yes I have already got the outer casing off) Is it already a boat anchor?
Allan

is the display shrunk?
One failure mode is that the HV bleeder resistor goes open.
High voltage goes up.
Display shrinks depending on intensity level.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Allan Mac wrote:

Hi,

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing, either under the cap or to chassis. How do I get to it? (yes I have already got the outer casing off) Is it already a boat anchor?
Allan

Over 1000 members in this group to ask:

A lot of former Tek employees, knowledge & spare parts info.

You can download the manual he
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/475
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 4 July 2013 13:41:51 UTC+1, Michael Terrell wrote:
Allan Mac wrote:

Hi,

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing, either under the cap or to chassis. How do I get to it? (yes I have already got the outer casing off) Is it already a boat anchor?

Allan

Over 1000 members in this group to ask:

A lot of former Tek employees, knowledge & spare parts info.

You can download the manual he

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/475

Thanks for that. Been smelling ozone for a while, now nasty fizz from 1st anode area but can't see anything due to protective can. Don't want to leave it on long enough to look for display, was working ok. Have manual, no help.

Cheers Allan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

"Allan Mac" wrote in message

Hi,

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing, either under the cap
or to chassis. How do I get to it? (yes I have already got the outer
casing off) Is it already a boat anchor?
Allan

Grab a copy of the service manual (google) and read up on removing the CRT.
There is no removable HV PDA cap. The HV lead is soldered to an electrode
and potted in RTV. The 475 is a very fine 200 MHz scope and worth saving.

tm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Allan Mac"

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing,
either under the cap or to chassis. How do I get to it?
(yes I have already got the outer casing off) Is it
already a boat anchor?

** When ( not if ) you fix it, treat yourself to one of these:

http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm

Amaze your geek friends for only US$30 or so.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9306

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"** When ( not if ) you fix it, treat yourself to one of these:

http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm
"

I don't see a Z axis output on that. What does it do, just greatly exceed the writing speed of the scope ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 19:19:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"** When ( not if ) you fix it, treat yourself to one of these:

http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm

I don't see a Z axis output on that. What does it do, just greatly exceed the writing speed of the scope ?

If you look at the schematic at:
http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Widgets/o-clock-v12.pdf
you'll find JP2, which has ZLINE and ZINV pins.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, 4 July 2013 10:03:16 UTC+1, Allan Mac wrote:
Hi,

the first anode (EHT) of my old 475 scope is arcing, either under the cap or to chassis. How do I get to it? (yes I have already got the outer casing off) Is it already a boat anchor?

Allan

Finally got around to tackling this. Found old RTV hard and conductive at anode connection. Removed, cleaned and replaced. Good fix. Many thanks for help.

Allan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well since nobody else has the decency, thanx for letting us know. Alot of people get stuff fixed only to reemerge a year later with another problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well I haven't had much luck with them lately. When my 7603 was running there were scads of them on eBay and everywhere for less than a hundred bucks, notny more.

Anyway, I dunno about requiring a DD214 to hold political office, but I do tnink they should have had at least one honest job in their life. Youknow what I mena by honest job right ? Well they don't.