Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cause of 'whooshing' sound

I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

I'd put an oscilloscope on the power supply.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bennett wrote:

I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

Some times a zorc circuit is placed at the output to halt possible
oscillation that can take place.

This usually consist of a capacitor and R in series.. optimized to
react at higher frequencies to maintain a lower lever of output Z.

Some amp circuits will go into oscillation with out this circuit and
you can hear all kinds of effects.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote in message
On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

I'd put an oscilloscope on the power supply.

low voltages side of the power supply , initially anyway.

I would suspect a grounding/earthing problem .
If it is present most of the time , locally heat or cool different areas to
see if the character of the noise changes.
IS this a "sound bar" DSP type of amp for throwing stereo from one speaker
box, then a DSP failure?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I assume the problem is present with proper inputs connected. What nearby RF
sources are there , wifi, bluetooth, other kit with SMPSs etc. Does moving
any of those sources relative to the amp change the noise character. Or try
the amp in another room as a diagnostic approach

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

Thanks to all who've replied. This isn't a DSP and/or soundbar device
and definitely is not picking up RF from elsewhere. The 'whoosh' is
present with or without input cables connected.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bennett wrote in message
On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

Thanks to all who've replied. This isn't a DSP and/or soundbar device
and definitely is not picking up RF from elsewhere. The 'whoosh' is
present with or without input cables connected.

Assuming its safe to short an input to ground , is the defect still present
then?