DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cause of 'whooshing' sound (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/355879-cause-whooshing-sound.html)

Bennett[_2_] May 1st 13 12:39 AM

Cause of 'whooshing' sound

I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

mike[_22_] May 1st 13 12:43 AM

Cause of 'whooshing' sound

On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

I'd put an oscilloscope on the power supply.

Jamie May 1st 13 01:23 AM

Cause of 'whooshing' sound

Bennett wrote:

I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

Some times a zorc circuit is placed at the output to halt possible
oscillation that can take place.

This usually consist of a capacitor and R in series.. optimized to
react at higher frequencies to maintain a lower lever of output Z.

Some amp circuits will go into oscillation with out this circuit and
you can hear all kinds of effects.

Jamie

N_Cook May 1st 13 08:25 AM

Cause of 'whooshing' sound

mike wrote in message
On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

I'd put an oscilloscope on the power supply.

low voltages side of the power supply , initially anyway.

I would suspect a grounding/earthing problem .
If it is present most of the time , locally heat or cool different areas to
see if the character of the noise changes.
IS this a "sound bar" DSP type of amp for throwing stereo from one speaker
box, then a DSP failure?

N_Cook May 1st 13 08:41 AM

Cause of 'whooshing' sound

I assume the problem is present with proper inputs connected. What nearby RF
sources are there , wifi, bluetooth, other kit with SMPSs etc. Does moving
any of those sources relative to the amp change the noise character. Or try
the amp in another room as a diagnostic approach

Bennett[_2_] May 1st 13 05:32 PM

Cause of 'whooshing' sound

On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

Thanks to all who've replied. This isn't a DSP and/or soundbar device
and definitely is not picking up RF from elsewhere. The 'whoosh' is
present with or without input cables connected.

N_Cook May 3rd 13 05:28 PM

Cause of 'whooshing' sound

Bennett wrote in message
On 4/30/2013 4:39 PM, Bennett wrote:
I've got a Creative PC speaker, woofer and 5 tweeters. With inputs
disconnected I get a sort of intermittent whooshing or wind like sound.
The volume of the sound is not controlled by the unit's volume control.

Since this is coming from all the speakers, I assume - correctly? - that
the built in power supply is acting up. I assume the built in power
supply is some sort of switcher - would bad caps cause this noise?

Where else should I look. Thanks in advance

Thanks to all who've replied. This isn't a DSP and/or soundbar device
and definitely is not picking up RF from elsewhere. The 'whoosh' is
present with or without input cables connected.

Assuming its safe to short an input to ground , is the defect still present
then?