Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Curious about Ooma Caller ID on output

Ok, not exactly "repair" but someone here may know.

I currently have an AT&T land line, and long ago I built a Caller
ID demodulator using the MC145447 single-chip solution (no longer
made), which in turn is plugged into an old Commodore computer
which I have programmed to audibly announce the calling name
and number throughout the house via intercom. Very convenient.

The incoming CID packet is in Bell 202 format, which is simple 1200
baud 8/N/1 FSK modulation. The demodulator does just that, but
does not transmit any kind of ACK back to Ma Bell. The CID packets
follow a specific format, with checksum, etc.

So I'm tired of being raped by AT&T on the land line, and am
looking at Ooma. But of course I want the Ooma Telo to transmit
standard Bell 202 CID packets on its output between the first and
second rings, just like Ma Bell does, so my CID announcer will
still work.

My first assumption would be that it does exactly that - otherwise
Caller ID would not work on any phone (including a cordless base
station) that's plugged into the Ooma. But I just want to be sure
before I shell out the bucks for the Ooma.

Can anyone here clarify this for me?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:00:16 -0600, Peabody
wrote:

But of course I want the Ooma Telo to transmit
standard Bell 202 CID packets on its output between the first and
second rings, just like Ma Bell does, so my CID announcer will
still work.

My first assumption would be that it does exactly that - otherwise
Caller ID would not work on any phone (including a cordless base
station) that's plugged into the Ooma. But I just want to be sure
before I shell out the bucks for the Ooma.

Enhanced Caller-ID
http://www.ooma.com/app/support/enhanced-caller-id
To the best of my very limited knowledge of Ooma, desk phone, with a
built in CID decoder, works normally when plugged into an Ooma VoIP
router.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Peabody" wrote in message

So I'm tired of being raped by AT&T on the land line, and am
looking at Ooma. But of course I want the Ooma Telo to transmit
standard Bell 202 CID packets on its output between the first and
second rings, just like Ma Bell does, so my CID announcer will
still work.

My first assumption would be that it does exactly that - otherwise
Caller ID would not work on any phone (including a cordless base
station) that's plugged into the Ooma. But I just want to be sure
before I shell out the bucks for the Ooma.

Can anyone here clarify this for me?

I have a Panasonic cordless base station plugged into an OOMA box and the
caller ID displays correctly.