Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Foot bath heater repair help please

Greetings,
My wife uses foot baths in her shop and the heaters fail on them. The
style of foot bath she likes best is no longer available. The baths
all seem to be made by the same company, Helen of Troy. Model 61320.
Anyway, I took a couple apart to look at the heaters and they appear
to be ceramic power resistors. They are marked "20W200 ohms" , except
the ohms symbol is used. The foot baths only draw 78 watts and there
is a vibrating doodad inside too. There is a bimetal switch in series
with the resistor. The switches are inside a tube of some sort of heat
resistance woven stuff. Does it make sense that what I think are
ceramic encapsulated power resistors are exactly that? I'm thinking I
should buy a couple and see if they work. I would also like to be able
to replace the bimetal switches and the heat resistant tubing as well
but I don't know what to call the tubing.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 11:06:54 +1100, John G
wrote:

After serious thinking wrote :
[...]

Eric,
A footbath is a great place to strart a trip thru electrocution to the
morgue.
I there is ever an acident the first place the investigator will look
is who repaired it.

For your own happiness DON'T DO IT. :-?

I thought about that. But there is really no other foot bath that has
the same ease of cleaning and if I replace the resistor wrongly enough
to maybe cause power to enter the water then the circuit breaker and
the GFI woiuld trip. The cleaning is super important. My wife has to
disinfect each foot bath after a client uses it and before another
client can put their feet in it. Fungus infections are particularly
troublesome. My wife has never failed to sterilize her tools and has
never had a client become infected from her shop. So she needs tools
that are easy to sterlize and one thing that makes tools hard to
sterlize are crevices which her current foot baths do not have but
which all the new ones do.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in
:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 11:06:54 +1100, John G
wrote:

After serious thinking
wrote :
[...]

I assume you are in 120V land!

A simple calculation (P=(V^2)/R) shows the resistor probably dissipates
72 watts which would correspond neatly with your observed 78W draw.
However the originals are only rated for 20W - no wonder they fail!

You do not know what extra testing has been done by "Helen of Troy" to
qualify these resistors for use at 3.6 times their rating, nor do you
know if a third party's 20W 200 ohm resistor will fail safe.

If you had appropriate professional liability insurance for small
medical appliance repair you would run away screaming from a customer
who asked you to fix a device that overran a heater by that high a
factor using unapproved parts.

The fact that you belive the GFI can be relied on to backstop your
possible shoddy workmanship means I can be certain that you are not a
fit and competent person to repair these appliances.

Basically you are putting all your assets on the line. Your home, your
wife's business etc. and because she let you work on them, she's
negligent as well if they are ever put back into service.

Find a company willing to repair them (if you can) and make sure they
have appropriate insurance or forget about it. --
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ian Malcolm"

I assume you are in 120V land!

A simple calculation (P=(V^2)/R) shows the resistor probably dissipates
72 watts which would correspond neatly with your observed 78W draw.
However the originals are only rated for 20W - no wonder they fail!

** The 20W resistor is mounted on a heatsink (ie the tub of water) so can
dissipate far more than its free air rating.

BTW: the " Helen of Troy Model 61320" is sold to the public and retails for
about US $40.

The OP's main problem will be finding an exact match that fits tightly in
whatever clamp holds it up against the tub.

But I agree, the safety issue is critical and repair is not advisable nor
even economic.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

What form does the double? insulation take between resistors and water?

In the extended SI system of units
The unit of beauty is the milliHelen - the amount of beauty required to
launch one ship

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 02:04:06 +0000 (UTC), Ian Malcolm
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

I assume you are in 120V land!

A simple calculation (P=(V^2)/R) shows the resistor probably dissipates
72 watts which would correspond neatly with your observed 78W draw.
However the originals are only rated for 20W - no wonder they fail!

You do not know what extra testing has been done by "Helen of Troy" to
qualify these resistors for use at 3.6 times their rating, nor do you
know if a third party's 20W 200 ohm resistor will fail safe.

I'd like to see how these appliances behave if you operate them
without a water load. Do they actually sense the presence of water
and, if not, is the bimetallic switch able to prevent damage to the
resistor in the absence of cooling?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:14:54 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 02:04:06 +0000 (UTC), Ian Malcolm
put finger to keyboard and
composed:

I assume you are in 120V land!

A simple calculation (P=(V^2)/R) shows the resistor probably dissipates
72 watts which would correspond neatly with your observed 78W draw.
However the originals are only rated for 20W - no wonder they fail!

You do not know what extra testing has been done by "Helen of Troy" to
qualify these resistors for use at 3.6 times their rating, nor do you
know if a third party's 20W 200 ohm resistor will fail safe.

I'd like to see how these appliances behave if you operate them
without a water load. Do they actually sense the presence of water
and, if not, is the bimetallic switch able to prevent damage to the
resistor in the absence of cooling?

- Franc Zabkar

Yes Franc, there is a bimetal switch in series with the resistor and
it lays along the length of the resistor.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Eric- Hide quoted text -

What everyone else says about liability I second. But, is there a 3-
wire or a 2-wire power cord, is the basin metal or plastic, two
zillion things you haven't told us about!!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hr(bob) used his keyboard to write :

wrote:
[...]

Does not really matter, any unlicensed repair will void the warrentee
and responsibility will fall RIGHT ON :-? the repairer.

--
John G

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John G"

What everyone else says about liability I second. But, is there a 3-
wire or a 2-wire power cord, is the basin metal or plastic, two
zillion things you haven't told us about!!!!

Does not really matter, any unlicensed repair will void the warrentee and
responsibility will fall RIGHT ON :-? the repairer.

** What "license" is needed to repair such an appliance ????

BTW The maker's warranty must have long ago expired because the unit was
being used commercially.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

on 11/12/2012, Phil Allison supposed :
"John G"

What everyone else says about liability I second. But, is there a 3-
wire or a 2-wire power cord, is the basin metal or plastic, two
zillion things you haven't told us about!!!!

Does not really matter, any unlicensed repair will void the warrentee and
responsibility will fall RIGHT ON :-? the repairer.

** What "license" is needed to repair such an appliance ????

BTW The maker's warranty must have long ago expired because the unit was
being used commercially.

.... Phil

I suppose Authorised would be a better word but whatever the risk will
go with the repairer.
And Warranty, of course you are right, but if it was ever properly
tested, UL CE or whatever applies in the location will be void.

--
John G

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John G"
Phil Allison supposed :
"John G"

What everyone else says about liability I second. But, is there a 3-
wire or a 2-wire power cord, is the basin metal or plastic, two
zillion things you haven't told us about!!!!

Does not really matter, any unlicensed repair will void the warrentee
and responsibility will fall RIGHT ON :-? the repairer.

** What "license" is needed to repair such an appliance ????

BTW The maker's warranty must have long ago expired because the unit
was being used commercially.

I suppose Authorised would be a better word but whatever the risk will go
with the repairer.

** Repairers are ALWAYS responsible for making sure an appliance is safe
to use when returned to the owner - or else they must disable it. Nothing
new or different here.

Anecdote:

Yamaha made powered mixing desks that were "double insulated" - the EMX
series.

Several of them came my way with the complaint that performers were
receiving small electric shocks (bites) on the lips from microphones when
using these desks. The reason was simply that there was no earth and the
chassis floated up to half the AC supply voltage and with a few hundred pF
capacitance to ground.

The only answer was to fit a 3 core lead and remove the double square
symbol. The service manual showed that US and Canadian versions were fully
earthed, as no doubt UL and CSA had insisted.

These models were inherently unsafe in live performance situations, if I had
simply done NOTHING then I could have been liable for any injuries that
subsequently occurred.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote:
"John G"
Phil Allison supposed :
"John G"

[...]

I keep wanting to pull out my foot bath massage unit, which I think had a
heater. I think I gave it away.. That old plastic stuff tended to crack
open.

At work one time, they built a heated live heart transporter mostly out of
plexiglass. They were testing it and kept blowing the hospital outlet GFI.
I think it was to be used in a helicopter. I suggested installing a
transformer to isolate. It worked.

Greg

Just cut 30-foot tall 1.5 foot diameter oak (how long to dry out?) arkland Home Repair 47 July 12th 11 04:35 AM
Bath Repair UK alscot Home Repair 0 February 23rd 11 11:20 AM
foot repair? James[_7_] Home Repair 16 September 1st 08 06:10 PM
Bath tub repair twfsa Home Repair 5 February 19th 08 02:32 PM
Water heater suitable for bath filling ? Sean UK diy 17 October 20th 05 10:58 AM