Old October 18th 05, 11:39 PM
Sean

Default Water heater suitable for bath filling ?

Anyone recomend anything suitable for this.

Basically an old house which i dont want to rip apart to install CH -
currently (old and very large) wall mounted storage water boiler is
mounted just adjacent to the bath and feeds the bath and wash basin -
downstairs has a over sink electric heater.

The bath heater leaks and really is huge (but still works after 30 yrs
use)- i'd like something smaller but still electric powered - are there
any instant water heaters solid enough to run long enough to fill a
bath or are they all storage?

thanks.

Old October 19th 05, 12:11 AM
Sparks

"Sean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone recomend anything suitable for this.

Basically an old house which i dont want to rip apart to install CH -
currently (old and very large) wall mounted storage water boiler is
mounted just adjacent to the bath and feeds the bath and wash basin -
downstairs has a over sink electric heater.

The bath heater leaks and really is huge (but still works after 30 yrs
use)- i'd like something smaller but still electric powered - are there
any instant water heaters solid enough to run long enough to fill a
bath or are they all storage?

How about an electric shower unit?

What wattage is the old unit?
How difficult would it be to run a new electric feed to the bathroom?
Do you know what cable size is there already?

Sparks...

Old October 19th 05, 08:10 AM
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Sean" writes:
Anyone recomend anything suitable for this.

Basically an old house which i dont want to rip apart to install CH -
currently (old and very large) wall mounted storage water boiler is
mounted just adjacent to the bath and feeds the bath and wash basin -
downstairs has a over sink electric heater.

The bath heater leaks and really is huge (but still works after 30 yrs
use)- i'd like something smaller but still electric powered - are there
any instant water heaters solid enough to run long enough to fill a
bath or are they all storage?

The problem is that a domestic electricity supply is not up to
the task of instant heating water at typical bath filling rates.
Products exist and are used in some countries where 3-phase is
routinely provided to homes, but that's rare in the UK.

Do you not have a gas supply?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old October 19th 05, 08:33 AM
Stephen Dawson

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On 19 Oct 2005 07:10:01 GMT, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

| In article .com,
| "Sean" writes:
| Anyone recomend anything suitable for this.
|
| Basically an old house which i dont want to rip apart to install CH -
| currently (old and very large) wall mounted storage water boiler is
| mounted just adjacent to the bath and feeds the bath and wash basin -
| downstairs has a over sink electric heater.
|
| The bath heater leaks and really is huge (but still works after 30 yrs
| use)- i'd like something smaller but still electric powered - are
there
| any instant water heaters solid enough to run long enough to fill a
| bath or are they all storage?
|
| The problem is that a domestic electricity supply is not up to
| the task of instant heating water at typical bath filling rates.
| Products exist and are used in some countries where 3-phase is
| routinely provided to homes, but that's rare in the UK.

IIRC all three phases are wired to UK homes, but only one is used.
Installing a three phase meter should be possible, but I am not sure of
the
cost.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.

You could you a Triton TW10i waterheater. Very expensive way of filling a
bath though.

Old October 19th 05, 08:41 AM
[email protected]

Got to be a storage system. We have an 9.5kw instant water heater for
kitchen sink (temporary) and it is only just adequate. Filling a bath
would be really slow and it would be cold before it filled.
We also have 9.5kw shower which is perfectly OK . You could put one
above the bath and just shower only.

cheers

Jacob

Old October 19th 05, 10:05 AM
Christian McArdle

The bath heater leaks and really is huge (but still works after 30 yrs
use)- i'd like something smaller but still electric powered - are there
any instant water heaters solid enough to run long enough to fill a
bath or are they all storage?

You have a choice of a 24kW instantaneous electric water heater, which will
require at least a 2 phase supply. You can get versions that will run one
100A phase (must be the only device on that phase), or 33A each off three
phases.

A 24kW heater will run an excellent shower, but will be slow (but possible)
for bath filling, matching the smaller combi boilers. Don't write off the
possibility of installing 3 phase if you don't have it. Ask your electricity
company for a quote.

Alternatively, you need a storage solution. Practically any hot water
cylinder, whether vented, mains pressurised or heat bank will work. However,
they will take up much more space. Specify one with two immersions that can
run simultaneously for faster recovery. You'll need at least 120 litres in
size.

Christian.

Old October 19th 05, 10:09 AM
Matt Beard

IIRC all three phases are wired to UK homes, but only one is used.
Installing a three phase meter should be possible, but I am not sure
of the cost.

Some UK homes may have all three phases connected, with only one used,
but this is by no means universal.

I believe that it is common to wire a street of houses up so that a
3-phase cable runs down the street and each house is supplied from one
of the phases by a short spur. I think that they alternate the phases
so, for example, number 1 uses blue, number 3 (next door) yellow,
number 5 red, number 7 blue again.

I have also heard tell that streets with overhead supplies used to
suffer from over-use of the blue phase as it was generally the bottom
wire and so easier to tap (though this may simply be a myth)

Old October 19th 05, 10:09 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
IIRC all three phases are wired to UK homes, but only one is used.

Don't think this is universally so. There's only one in mine. And I've
seen some with two.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 19th 05, 10:22 AM
Sean

There is gas to the house but only runs to the downstairs cooker - much
as i thought it's going to have to be a chunky electric supply and
another large immersion type wall mounted heater fitted as the
replacement.

Anyone had 3 phase fitted? - any ideas of the cost ? even an "ish" cost
might help either put me off or consider it.

thanks

AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 10 January 23rd 16 04:04 PM
Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
Water heater in series to use as storage tank ... good or bad? Fred Home Repair 12 January 29th 05 01:38 PM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM