Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bath tub repair

I need to replace the lever(over flow plate)
http://www.hometips.com/content/popups_intro.html

that allows the tub to drain,its wore out.

I bought the replacement at a big box store, there are two screws that hold
the overflow plate to the tub but I am afraid that I will twist them off
removing them, and don't want to have to replace the whole drain mechanism.
The old screws are tight, I need a big screwdriver with vice grips attached
to the screwdriver for leverage.

Any ideas?

thanks
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

httpppppppppp://www.hometips.com/content/popups_intro.html

that allows the tub to drain,its wore out.

I bought the replacement at a big box store, there are two screws that hold
the overflow plate to the tub but I am afraid that I will twist them off
removing them, and don't want to have to replace the whole drain mechanism.
The old screws are tight, I need a big screwdriver with vice grips attached
to the screwdriver for leverage.

Any ideas?

thanks
Tom

Blow torch or fireman's axe.

--
Oren

Try some liquide wrench or a socket screwdriver as they usauly work
well .
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

PB-Blaster is a good penetrating oil.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:33:47 -0600, "twfsa" wrote:

I need to replace the lever(over flow plate)
http://www.hometips.com/content/popups_intro.html

that allows the tub to drain,its wore out.

I bought the replacement at a big box store, there are two screws that hold
the overflow plate to the tub but I am afraid that I will twist them off
removing them, and don't want to have to replace the whole drain mechanism.
The old screws are tight, I need a big screwdriver with vice grips attached
to the screwdriver for leverage.

If liquid wrench works, you're gonig to need a lot because there is an
empty space btween the plate and the threaded holes.

Mine were easy to get off, but only 10 or 15 years old. A propane
torch will probably work well. That's helped with my 40-year old
motorcycle bolts. You don't have to keep it hot, while you are trying
to unscrew. You just have to get it hot for 10 seconds or a little
more, but again, Remember that the part that matters is not the head
of the screw but down a half inch or more. So it will take a little
longer.

I guess a...what's it called...oh, yeah, an impact driver would help
too. (Don't confuse this with an impact wrench like I did for a year
or two.) It looks like a solid steel cylinder and takes screwdriver
tips or sockets at one end. You put it in the screw and hit the other
end with a hammer. Hard or not so hard. It only applies torque for a
moment so I don't think it will turn the headds off, but the shock
might free up the screw.

Harbor Freight sells a full size iirc (about as big as the cardboard
roll inside a roll of toilet paper), and a small size (a bit bigger
than a cigar) cheap; and JCWhitney sells a couple models, including a
really good one for bigger jobs than this one (the bigger one has a
red rubber covered handle and a rubber guard to keep you from hitting
your hand with the hammer, but if you keep your eye on the end you are
trying to hit, you *will* hit it. Sort of like hitting a baseball.

Strangely, I haven't seen them for sale anywhere else.

Any ideas?

thanks
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 2:07�am, mm wrote:
[...]

Tom- Hide quoted text -

be careful with heat if the drain foot for lack of better term is
plastic

assume if things go bad you will be replacing parts under the tub

Posted to alt.home.repair

bad things like screw snaps off, head rounds out, all sorts of devils
in this job.

bath tub faucet repair jay[_2_] Home Repair 3 December 11th 07 01:25 AM
Bath tub wall repair . . . . Oz Home Repair 6 July 30th 07 12:44 PM
Bath tub chip repair [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 21st 06 07:25 PM
repair fibreglass bath Vass UK diy 9 January 24th 06 04:52 PM
fiberglass bath tub repair Cox Bodyshop Home Repair 3 February 25th 05 02:25 PM