Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Weller soldering station Update

My thanks to all for helpful comments.

Updates:

1)Triac Gate disconnected as suggested by Jamie and No heat, so confirms Triac OK.

2)No S/C between heating element and earth/common. Now looking upstream from Triac.

3)I have checked the temp sensor in Iron (wand) and it's O/C ALL of the time. So, have substituted a low value Pot and can now create a variation in readout on Station display now, but still the element is ON all the time (red hot tip etc!)

Richard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radio10 wrote in message
My thanks to all for helpful comments.

Updates:

1)Triac Gate disconnected as suggested by Jamie and No heat, so confirms

Triac OK.

2)No S/C between heating element and earth/common. Now looking upstream

from Triac.

3)I have checked the temp sensor in Iron (wand) and it's O/C ALL of the

time. So, have substituted a low value Pot and can now create a variation in
readout on Station display now, but still the element is ON all the time
(red hot tip etc!)

Richard

Have you tried forcing a change of the inputs to the op-amp?
Any idea what the 8pinner is? presumably not an EEprom as nothing to store

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think the MAX406 is an op-amp.

I think the LT508 1298 might be a A-D converter but I can't find any info other than a vague reference. I was hoping this was an Opto.

There is a 93LC46 which I believe is a PROM.

Then there's the PIC16C57 28 pin device.

All seems potentially OK, ie display works, voltages appear as expected.

The fault seems to be the switching of the heating element which is locked ON all the time.

However I notice there is nothing happening and no change to MT1 on the triac during any state including forcing the temperature sensing.

I can see DC levels varying on the temp pot.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radio10 wrote:

I think the MAX406 is an op-amp.

Low power precison op amp

http://datasheets.maximintegrated.co...406-MAX419.pdf

I think the LT508 1298 might be a A-D converter but I can't find any info other than a vague reference. I was hoping this was an Opto.

PWM & PFC?

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/LT508-datasheet.html#

There is a 93LC46 which I believe is a PROM.

1K EEPROM 128 x 8- or 64 x 16-bit organization

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...doc/21712b.pdf

Then there's the PIC16C57 28 pin device.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...hip/30453d.pdf

All seems potentially OK, ie display works, voltages appear as expected.

The fault seems to be the switching of the heating element which is locked ON all the time.

However I notice there is nothing happening and no change to MT1 on the triac during any state including forcing the temperature sensing.

I can see DC levels varying on the temp pot.

Most of these ICs are obsolete.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
m...

radio10 wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a severe case of KISS

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radio10 wrote:

[...]

Buy a cheap HAKKO clone for $30 on Ebay. Plenty of spare parts &
tips available cheap. I just bought three replacement irons for $20,
delivered and 10 tips for $8 delivered. I picked up a 5A boost
converter to use one off a 12V jump (start) pack. Replace the 10K trim
pot with a panel mounted control, and a socket for the iron and I'll
have an adjustable iron to use away from my bench (for under $15 (US))
I'm going to stick it in a small ammo can, with the other tools needed
for field work and leave it on my crash cart so I can grab it on the way
out the door.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radio10 wrote:

I think the MAX406 is an op-amp.

I think the LT508 1298 might be a A-D converter but I can't find any info other than a vague reference. I was hoping this was an Opto.

There is a 93LC46 which I believe is a PROM.

Then there's the PIC16C57 28 pin device.

All seems potentially OK, ie display works, voltages appear as expected.

The fault seems to be the switching of the heating element which is locked ON all the time.

However I notice there is nothing happening and no change to MT1 on the triac during any state including forcing the temperature sensing.

I can see DC levels varying on the temp pot.

Says here the LT508 is a Power Factor and PWM control voltage device.

If you have a scope, probe the gate to common side and look for a
pulse. If you see a pulse there like it's trying to turn off the gate,
it is a good possibility the Triac could be bad.

If you can look at the triac number and see if it is a sensitive
type, these types are known to have issues and they could lock on..

what I have seen happen in some cases is this, if the power supply on
the control board bets a little noisy due to bad caps, a small ripple
can be present at the gate and thus turning it on..

If you are not sure about this, you can disconnect the gate and then
do a meter ohm check between the gate and one of the terminals.. A
non-sensitive gate type will have some resistance down in the 300 or
less range. Most of them are in below 100 ohms..

You many not have a opto isolator since the output voltage is most
likely low to start with. One of my stations only uses 6 volts if I
remember.. And a couple of others use 24 volts. Either way, the driving
electronics more than likely is directly coupled to the gate. This is
actually a bad idea btw. You happen to touch the tip some where in a hot
spot of a piece of equipment, it can back track and take out the
stations control electronics. The heater elements are suppose to be
isolated, but HV tends to jump over boundaries.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"radio10"

I have checked the temp sensor in Iron (wand) and it's O/C ALL of the
time.

** So tye iron is faulty - just as you were told.

So, have substituted a low value Pot ...

** Such sensors are only a few ohms and typically drop in value as the tip
heats.

FFS buy a new iron.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radio10 wrote:

[...]

What data could the Eeprom be used for storing , in a soldering iron
operation?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radio10 wrote:

[...]

Calibration for the temperature display, rather than a couple pots.
That allows for automated calibration on the production line. I'm doing
that in a custom soldering station I'm building. It will control up to
five irons, with individual settings, and one can be a desoldering
iron. That will give me several types of tips, without having to
constantly change them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 03:17:59 -0700 (PDT), radio10
wrote:

My thanks to all for helpful comments.

Updates:

1)Triac Gate disconnected as suggested by Jamie and No heat, so confirms Triac OK.

2)No S/C between heating element and earth/common. Now looking upstream from Triac.

3)I have checked the temp sensor in Iron (wand) and it's O/C ALL of the time. So, have substituted a low value Pot and can now create a variation in readout on Station display now, but still the element is ON all the time (red hot tip etc!)

Richard

The temperature sensor shouldn't be open circuit, so you definitely
need a new sensor. An open sensor results in no heat on the Weller's
I've owned. It's possible that runaway heat ruined the sensor. Don't
let it overheat since it will drastically reduce the life of the
heater.

Have you checked for open wires in the cord?

I have seen bad electrolytic caps on control boards that caused
various problems.

The EEPROM just contains calibration info, and stores some options
like C/F, and control lockout. There's a device that you plug into
the soldering iron connector that lets you calibrate and set the
options.

If you really want to fix it, buy a new sensor, or iron, and be
prepared to replace the control board if you can't fix it.