Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Weller soldering station Update

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 03:17:59 -0700 (PDT), radio10
wrote:

My thanks to all for helpful comments.

Updates:

1)Triac Gate disconnected as suggested by Jamie and No heat, so confirms Triac OK.

2)No S/C between heating element and earth/common. Now looking upstream from Triac.

3)I have checked the temp sensor in Iron (wand) and it's O/C ALL of the time. So, have substituted a low value Pot and can now create a variation in readout on Station display now, but still the element is ON all the time (red hot tip etc!)

Richard

The temperature sensor shouldn't be open circuit, so you definitely
need a new sensor. An open sensor results in no heat on the Weller's
I've owned. It's possible that runaway heat ruined the sensor. Don't
let it overheat since it will drastically reduce the life of the
heater.

Have you checked for open wires in the cord?

I have seen bad electrolytic caps on control boards that caused
various problems.

The EEPROM just contains calibration info, and stores some options
like C/F, and control lockout. There's a device that you plug into
the soldering iron connector that lets you calibrate and set the
options.

If you really want to fix it, buy a new sensor, or iron, and be
prepared to replace the control board if you can't fix it.