Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "When multimeters go boom..."

You'll like this. (For those easily offended, these Ozians drop a few S
bombs.) Watch all of it. The demo with the aluminum block is surprising.

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/05/when-multimeters-go-boom

I once asked a Fluke engineer why their DVMs were so expensive. He said most
of the cost was in protecting the unit from misconnection or high voltages.

I wish Greg Lefebvre were alive to see this. I can hear his raucous
laughter. "Oh, Willie..."

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

:
: http://hackaday.com/2010/05/05/when-multimeters-go-boom
:
: I once asked a Fluke engineer why their DVMs were so expensive. He said most
: of the cost was in protecting the unit from misconnection or high voltages.
:
: I wish Greg Lefebvre were alive to see this. I can hear his raucous
: laughter. "Oh, Willie..."
:
: --
: "We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
: questions." -- Edwin Land
:

More of Daves stuff he- http://www.eevblog.com/

Colin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've seen similar results of destroyed consumer grade DMMs which were being
used used in an industrial environment.
The cases and probes were nearly covered with vaporized metal residue.

In the instance of a RShack meter, I dunno what the user was trying to do,
but the shadows of his fingers could be seen on the meter case and probes.
He survived the incident but could've been killed since he was inside an
electrical closet lined with live, exposed buss bars.

Only properly designed industrial rated DMMs are capable of surviving
Oh****! mistakes in industrial equipment.

The proper spacing of board traces and component orientation are fairly
critical at elevated voltage levels, especially when the high current
capacity of industrial circuits can easily vaporize almost anything that
approaches the breakdown/arc-over threshold.

The resulting plasma effect immediately fills the surrounding air with a
cloud of metal, increasing the likelyhood of more breakdown events in the
same vicinity.

The presence of a small glass fuse in a DMM or other test equipment doesn't
mean the user is safe from similar events.

--
Cheers,
WB

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
You'll like this. (For those easily offended, these Ozians drop a few S
bombs.) Watch all of it. The demo with the aluminum block is surprising.

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/05/when-multimeters-go-boom

I once asked a Fluke engineer why their DVMs were so expensive. He said
most
of the cost was in protecting the unit from misconnection or high
voltages.

I wish Greg Lefebvre were alive to see this. I can hear his raucous
laughter. "Oh, Willie..."

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommer******"

You'll like this. (For those easily offended, these Ozians drop a few S
bombs.) Watch all of it. The demo with the aluminum block is surprising.

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/05/when-multimeters-go-boom

** For better or worse, I know the two people in that video.

Particularly Doug Ford, the one who built the pulse energy box.

Doug was formerly chief designer for Jands Electronics - a Sydney based
manufacturer of professional audio and lighting equipment. The largest such
company in Australia. Then he moved on to Rode Microphones ( also in Sydney)
and did a number of designs for them - including their first " tube mic ".

We used to talk about tech stuff on the phone regularly and met up on
several occasions too.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

"William Sommer******"

You'll like this. (For those easily offended, these Ozians drop a few S
bombs.) Watch all of it. The demo with the aluminum block is surprising.

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/05/when-multimeters-go-boom

** For better or worse, I know the two people in that video.

Particularly Doug Ford, the one who built the pulse energy box.

Doug was formerly chief designer for Jands Electronics - a Sydney based
manufacturer of professional audio and lighting equipment. The largest such
company in Australia. Then he moved on to Rode Microphones ( also in Sydney)
and did a number of designs for them - including their first " tube mic ".

We used to talk about tech stuff on the phone regularly and met up on
several occasions too.

how's Dave in real life?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Cydrome Leader"
Phil Allison

"William Sommer******"

You'll like this. (For those easily offended, these Ozians drop a few S
bombs.) Watch all of it. The demo with the aluminum block is surprising.

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/05/when-multimeters-go-boom

** For better or worse, I know the two people in that video.

Particularly Doug Ford, the one who built the pulse energy box.

Doug was formerly chief designer for Jands Electronics - a Sydney based
manufacturer of professional audio and lighting equipment. The largest
such
company in Australia. Then he moved on to Rode Microphones ( also in
Sydney)
and did a number of designs for them - including their first " tube mic
".

We used to talk about tech stuff on the phone regularly and met up on
several occasions too.

how's Dave in real life?

** Never actually eyeballed the guy - we spoke on the phones a couple of
times.

What you see in the EE Blog videos is pretty much what you get.

He has an opinion on everything and most of them are erroneous.

.... Phil