Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to adjust Volume control range on TV monitor?

I use Direct TV satellite receiver.

For the monitor connected via HDMI camble:
Element Electreonics 40 inch LCD, ELGFT401

After following all the setup, several things make NO sense.

What is 'automatic volume control'?

The manual says ON/OFF to turn the automatic volume control on or off,
which is not a lot of help.

How do I adjust the range of control down to a LISTENING level.
In the manual only describes if it's not loud enough for you?!
Note: the volume control settings are
0 is NO SOUND
1 is daytime comfortable listening, maybe up to 2 or 3 to 'feel' the
sound.
Everything on up to 99 is louder than a party of Americans in a
restaurant.

The problem is that at night, 1 is TOO loud, hurts ears, It is an
upsetting level.
Again, 0 is OFF so there is nothing in between.

Any ideas on ways to adjust the range ...without cutting into the
unit?

Anybody have a ??update.pkg file I can download through the monitor's
USB port to change what they gave me? Seriously, above 4 or 5 the
sound HURTS your ears, like a Rock Concert! So need an easy way to do
this.

I fear 'blocking' the speakers with sound absorbing material will only
filter the sound rendering the speech unintelligible.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26/11/2011 17:35, Robert Macy wrote:
I use Direct TV satellite receiver.

For the monitor connected via HDMI camble:
Element Electreonics 40 inch LCD, ELGFT401

snip

Any ideas on ways to adjust the range ...without cutting into the
unit?

Hasn't the satellite receiver got volume controls on the remote?.

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 26, 12:58*pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 26/11/2011 17:35, Robert Macy wrote:

I use Direct TV satellite receiver.

For the monitor connected via HDMI camble:
Element Electreonics 40 inch LCD, ELGFT401

snip

Any ideas on ways to adjust the range ...without cutting into the
unit?

Hasn't the satellite receiver got volume controls on the remote?.

--
Adrian C

The volume control on the Direct TV remote controls the MONITOR's
volume only, not the 'feed' to the monitor. Same with Power ON/OFF,
feeds simultaneously through to the Monitor when you turn ON/OFF the
satellite receiver.

Thus, no effect on the 'range'
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26/11/2011 22:43, Robert Macy wrote:
Hasn't the satellite receiver got volume controls on the remote?.

--
Adrian C

The volume control on the Direct TV remote controls the MONITOR's
volume only, not the 'feed' to the monitor. Same with Power ON/OFF,
feeds simultaneously through to the Monitor when you turn ON/OFF the
satellite receiver.

Thus, no effect on the 'range'

Ah, I see. It's like my TiVo. The remote for that sends IR to the output
device, as well as the recorder.

Your satellite receiver and monitor should also have analogue RCA inputs
and outputs for sound. Perhaps you could connect these, and get better
control of the sound level using that? (That is if the HMDI digital
audio is not enforced if the video input is in use).

Or you could try external speakers (PC audio?) that have a volume
control, and connect them to the monitor's headphone jack.

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In the comments for this TV on the Walmart Web site, people have the same
complaint. Apparently you will have to live with it or exchange it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 27, 8:30*am, Kuskokwim wrote:
In the comments for this TV on the Walmart Web site, people have the same
complaint. Apparently you will have to live with it or exchange it.

Thank you. The Walmart site hangs any/all of our 3 systems, so cannot
use it. Had to order completely by phone and couldn't view thoses
'reviews'

Exchange is not going to be easy, snice [Element Electronics filed
bankruptcy June 2011 with one of the LONGEST list of creditors I've
ever seen!]

ADRIAN's idea of external speakers I had thought of but Ms. Macy has
an aversion to miles of wires and boxes and 'stuff'

The software fix is tantalizing, because it seems like it should be
possible to do, just someone has to do it, and distribute it.
Wouldn't take much to add the 'range' control function since
everything looks like software menu anyway.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 30, 9:31*pm, Michael Karas wrote:
In article fb276a59-3400-46c7-bc6e-c8defdfd9de0
@q30g2000yqj.googlegroups.com, says...

I use Direct TV satellite receiver.

Anybody have a ??update.pkg file I can download through the monitor's
USB port to change what they gave me? Seriously, above 4 or 5 the
sound HURTS your ears, like a Rock Concert! *So need an easy way to do
this.

Highly unlikely that you'll find a "software" solution. Actually I say
no chance.

What I would do is to open up the unit and put 8 ohm 15 or 20 watt power
resistors in series with one side of each of the speaker connections. If
the speakers are already 8 ohm units that will cut down the power
delivered to the speaker to half. If the speakers are some other
impedance then adjust the ohms value of the resistors to match so as to
get the approximate power reduction to the speakers.

I suggest this approach because normally there are easily accessible
wire harnesses that go to the speakers that you can break into and add
the power resistors. Trying to apply some type of attenuation within the
PC board, hardware wise, would be a much more complex thing to puzzle
through even if you had access to good schematics and tools to work with
the SMT circuitry that is used in almost all devices these days.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutionshttp://www.carousel-design.com

Thank you for suggestion.

Just didn't want to 'cut' into the unit. Your suggestion of
interrupting lines to speakers has its advantages. Just there's no
place to mount the parts. But may not matter, SMT is not as robust
physically as the older through hole stuff. Trace widths thinner,
adhesion sucks.

Reluctant to play with the damping to the speakers. Can't believe
damping is much of an issue here, because playing with the BASS TREBLE
controls did not appreciably change intelligibility of the speech.
Adding a resistor decreases damping, especially if the speakers are
driven from a low impedance source. Plus speaker impedances are all
over the place, so can't even count on a half voltage drop, right?
Half voltage, quarter power, only a 6dB drop, but may be enough to
move the range to a comfortable listening zone. I might try 16
parallel to 8 to speaker just to keep everything 'right' but if driven
by solid state the 16 parallel is a waste.

Wow 25 watt are going to be fairly large. Which would you recommend:
Brown ceramic, or the aluminum 'quanset' hut ones? Tucked inside a
shrink tube, won't even cool very well. Only saving grace is that 1
watt of sound for us hurts! Easily listen in the 10-20mW range and at
night could be as low as 2-5mW. Keep in mind we clearly hear headsets
playing at normal volume from across the room.

Regards,
Robert