Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA 25" TV Dead After Power Outage

Gentlemen,

I have a 25" RCA TV, model #F25651BL / Chassis #CTC177AG. After a power outage
due to a thunderstorm, my set is now completely dead. It was plugged
in but not on at the time.
I don't hear the usual "power up" sound when I plug it in. The fuse
checked OK and nothing looks like it's been burnt or overheated. I
suspect an open somewhere in the power supply, but as I have neither
the tools or knowledge to go further, I'm taking it in for service.
What do you think the problem might be? Could a power surge have
damaged something?

Thanks!
Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:45:31 -0400, Greg wrote:

Gentlemen,

I have a 25" RCA TV, model #F25651BL / Chassis #CTC177AG. After a power
outage due to a thunderstorm, my set is now completely dead. It was
plugged in but not on at the time.
I don't hear the usual "power up" sound when I plug it in. The fuse
checked OK and nothing looks like it's been burnt or overheated. I
suspect an open somewhere in the power supply, but as I have neither the
tools or knowledge to go further, I'm taking it in for service. What do
you think the problem might be? Could a power surge have damaged
something?

Thanks!
Greg

Yup.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Greg" wrote in message
Gentlemen,

I have a 25" RCA TV, model #F25651BL / Chassis #CTC177AG. After a power
outage
due to a thunderstorm, my set is now completely dead. It was plugged in
but not on at the time.
I don't hear the usual "power up" sound when I plug it in. The fuse
checked OK and nothing looks like it's been burnt or overheated. I
suspect an open somewhere in the power supply, but as I have neither the
tools or knowledge to go further, I'm taking it in for service. What do
you think the problem might be? Could a power surge have damaged
something?

Thanks!
Greg

Assuming it uses a switch-mode power supply, it is very common for them to
fail this way after a power outage. Normally, they are never powered off,
and in standby mode, the idling part of the PSU that keeps the system
control micro and infra red receiver going, is self powering. However, after
a loss of power, that little circuit has to restart. Over the years, startup
resistors tend to go high or open, and also small low voltage electrolytics
on the PSU primary side go high ESR or open. This will result in the standby
supply failing to restart, giving a dead set symptom. Of course, if there
was a thunderstorm about, it could be something a lot more serious, but
chances are it's a simple front end power supply problem on any set more
than a few years old.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 8, 7:30*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Greg" wrote in message

[...]

Check the MOV ,,,next to the plug-in also the 5 watt resistor next to
it.