WbSearch

Default Power outage question

I'm in an area affected by this power outage and wonder why the cell phone
towers and land line phones still work? Are they on battery, generator backup
or powered by a different grid that happens to be operating?

Mike Berger

The landline switch is almost certainly on battery power. They'll switch
a generator on to charge the batteries when they need to.

WbSearch wrote:

I'm in an area affected by this power outage and wonder why the cell phone
towers and land line phones still work? Are they on battery, generator backup
or powered by a different grid that happens to be operating?

Jerry G.

As a standard, telephone companies and many major broadcast facilities
have all their equipment working on UPS systems. They also have
generators come up on line to supply the main bulk of the power during
outages. This way, there can be radio and TV during power failures.
But, the people using their facilities must have generators or battery
operated equipment to listen and watch.

There are many homes today that have emergency generators. In the
northern countries such as where I am, emergency power is very common.
We have temperatures during the winter that can go down to minus 30 to
minus 40 on the average. This is dangerous weather.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com