Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT - postings not appearing? long delays?

Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else
going on?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else
going on?

Assuming the post you are referring to is " HP Laserjet 5L ... ", then I
see it on my server as having arrived at 00:42 my time. This post shows as
having arrived at 01:17 i.e. about a half hour after the first one. Your
server may be doing some housekeeping function or have a problem that's
preventing it from updating at the moment ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else
going on?

Get a real news server. Google doesn't always send messages right
away. Sometimes they never leave the spool.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 25, 7:17*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else
going on?

I saw nothing new for three days, today is the first since Sunday.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Clueless Google Grouper (was: long delays?)

Robert Macy wrote:
Just me or is something wrong here?

Yes, it's you--using a Web interface to Usenet
and not understanding the limitations of that tool.

Every ~18 months, Google Groups "improves" their UI
(usually in some imperceptible way).
In the process, their pages don't get updated for many hours.
The longest I have seen before was 36 hours.
This time (3 days), there must be a BIG "improvement".

The next time your post doesn't appear immediately,
rather than displaying your ignorance by posting yet again
(and not having that show up at GG for hours),
go to a high-traffic group
(alt.test is the highest, I'm guessing)
and see if the last thing appearing is over 10 minutes old.
If so, Google is playing their games again.

It's that simple.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 25, 10:29*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else
going on?

* *Get a real news server. *Google doesn't always send messages right
away. *Sometimes they never leave the spool.

It appears not. I posted something two days ago and I still don't see
it. In fact I haven't seen any new posts either. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else
going on?

Get a real news server. Google doesn't always send messages right
away. Sometimes they never leave the spool.

It appears not. I posted something two days ago and I still don't see
it. In fact I haven't seen any new posts either. Lenny

A lot of people are complaing about Google groups not updating
properly for the last week. There are other free or low cost news
servers availible. news:alt.free.newsservers is a newgroup that
discusses these servers.

Use http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...servers/topics for
Google groups users.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A lot of people are complaing about Google groups not updating
properly for the last week. There are other free or low cost news
servers availible.

I recently switched to Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=NewUser&language=en

Seems to be working just dandy.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are other free or low cost news
servers availible. news:alt.free.newsservers is a newgroup that
discusses these servers.

Most of us never notice this anyway. Because of the low signal to noise ratio
(even for UseNet) we have all GoogleGroups postings go directly to the trash.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are other free or low cost news
servers availible. news:alt.free.newsservers is a newgroup that
discusses these servers.

Most of us never notice this anyway. Because of the low signal to noise ratio
(even for UseNet) we have all GoogleGroups postings go directly to the trash.

Good for you, but a few people I want to communicate with who have
refused to leave 'The Borg of Usenet'.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeffrey Angus wrote:

A lot of people are complaing about Google groups not updating
properly for the last week. There are other free or low cost news
servers availible.

I recently switched to Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=NewUser&language=en

Seems to be working just dandy.

It has some glitches from time to time, but at least it's a real NNTP
server.

BTW, did you ever make any progress with Joomla?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

BTW, did you ever make any progress with Joomla?

I think I used a different CMS, but I haven't had the
time to deal with any of it recently.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 07:24:22 -0500, Jeffrey Angus

A lot of people are complaing about Google groups not updating
properly for the last week. There are other free or low cost news
servers availible.

I recently switched to Eternal September
http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=NewUser&language=en
Seems to be working just dandy.

I've been on Supernews since the stone age. I'm on SUPER-TEXT[1] plan
that gives me text service for $4/month. Works fine, little spam, no
lost messages, fast header downloads (after I purged most of my
ancient junk), and cheap.
http://www.supernews.com

[1] 3G/mo, 10 streams, $3.95/mo, no encryption.
Oh-oh. It appears that they offer this plan any more.

Looking at my stats, I download about 5 MBytes/month and have
downloaded 184 MBytes since 3/2008. Definitely a light weight Usenet
user.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 1, 5:34*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
There are other free or low cost news
servers availible. news:alt.free.newsservers is a newgroup that
discusses these servers.

Most of us never notice this anyway. Because of the low signal to noise ratio
(even for UseNet) we have all GoogleGroups postings go directly to the trash.

People who filter out googlegroups are usually low content dinosaurs
for whom the vi vs. emacs wars are still a recent concern. I had hoped
that this H8 teh googlegroupers movement would have died along with
"Blinky the Shark." Oh well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 25, 6:34*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else
going on?

Assuming the post you are referring to is " HP Laserjet 5L ... *", then I
see it on my server as having arrived at 00:42 my time. This post shows as
having arrived at 01:17 i.e. about a half hour after the first one. Your
server may be doing some housekeeping function or have a problem that's
preventing it from updating at the moment ?

Arfa

It appears that google has almost finished their 'upgrade' The repair
group has up to date messages, but the Win98 group still shows June
27th as the last posting.

I still think this has somehting to do with their massive
vulnerability to recent hacking. They're probably shoring up their
defenses.

Thanks to someone who mentioned Eternal September. There was
something that kept me from using it, but can't remember now. I think
it's that Usenet is such a seldom event, there is no need to
streamline everything. Just keep it simple through the google
interface and be done with it. Or, it bogged my system down so badly,
just don't remember now.

Anyway, the problem is, and has been, google, which means they'll sort
it out soon. No need to install more bloate code on this machine.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]Eternal September. There was something
that kept me from using it, but can't remember now.

I'm guessing it was the software
you were trying to use as a newsreader.

[...]
Anyway, the problem is, and has been, google,
which means they'll sort it out soon.
No need to install more [bloated] code on this machine.

Well, that isn't actually *necessary*.
http://google.gom/search?q=%22.Opera.as.a.newsreader%22
....but see my previous statement.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

spamtrap1888 wrote:
People who filter out googlegroups are usually low content dinosaurs
for whom the vi vs. emacs wars are still a recent concern.
I had hoped that this H8 teh googlegroupers movement
would have died along with "Blinky the Shark." Oh well.

Shorter version:
Dull wits with blunt tools.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/3/2011 3:57 PM, JeffM wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
[...]Eternal September. There was something
that kept me from using it, but can't remember now.

I'm guessing it was the software
you were trying to use as a newsreader.

Actually, the trick with eternal september, is that you
have to figure out HOW to read their INTERNAL news groups
to be able to read ALL the OTHER news groups.

It is, kind of, an idiot filter.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 3, 2:13*pm, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
On 7/3/2011 3:57 PM, JeffM wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]Eternal September. *There was something
that kept me from using it, but can't remember now.

I'm guessing it was the software
you were trying to use as a newsreader.

Actually, the trick with eternal september, is that you
have to figure out HOW to read their INTERNAL news groups
to be able to read ALL the OTHER news groups.

It is, kind of, an idiot filter.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"