Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need non-USB software for APC Model BE350 toconnect to Windows XP

I have a APC Model BE350 battery back-up. It is 10 years old, and has
a new battery. It has a serial channel - 9 pin connector for
connection to a computer (Windows 95/98/NT/2000). It works fine as an
independent battery-powered back-up. I want to connect it to my
desktop computer which is running Windows XP. All the APC software
assumes a USB cable will be used. Talking to their tech support,
there is nothing available that is serial channel. I don't want to
kluge up something to convert the serial cable to a USB, not even sure
if it can be done. Has anyone done what I need??

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 08:18:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a APC Model BE350 battery back-up. It is 10 years old, and has
a new battery. It has a serial channel - 9 pin connector for
connection to a computer (Windows 95/98/NT/2000). It works fine as an
independent battery-powered back-up. I want to connect it to my
desktop computer which is running Windows XP. All the APC software
assumes a USB cable will be used. Talking to their tech support,
there is nothing available that is serial channel. I don't want to
kluge up something to convert the serial cable to a USB, not even sure
if it can be done. Has anyone done what I need??

In XP:
Control Panel - Power Options - UPS - Select Model -
APC - COM1/2/3/4
For the Back-UPS BE350, I suggest using "Back-UPS" as the model.

Contrary to my previous proclamation, it will work with a USB to
serial adapter cable.

Digging a bit deeper, the chart at:
http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2396/
shows that the BE250 is compatible with the Business Edition of
PowerChute and not the Personal Edition.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 7, 10:37*am, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/06/2011 16:18, wrote:

I have a APC Model BE350 battery back-up. *It is 10 years old, and has
a new battery. *It has a serial channel - 9 pin connector for
connection to a computer (Windows 95/98/NT/2000). *It works fine as an
independent battery-powered back-up. *I want to connect it to my
desktop computer which is running Windows XP. *All the APC software
assumes a USB cable will be used. *Talking to their tech support,
there is nothing available that is serial channel. *I don't want to
kluge up something to convert the serial cable to a USB, not even sure
if it can be done. *Has anyone done what I need??

Isn't this serial support built into XP?

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/T...QVCZ_R2_EN.pdf

--
Adrian C

Adrian,

Thanks. It looks like you may be right. I will try it later tonight
when I have enough time to really go thru the entire thing. My
regular computer guru did not have a clue to this.

Bob H
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 07/06/2011 16:18, wrote:

[...]

Bob H- Hide quoted text -

Got the info and also contacted APC by e-mail. Got a lot of info I
now have to try it and see if things are ok.

Thanx for the suggestions.