Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default power switch for B&D DB5400-1

The switch on my Dust Buster 5400-1 has become intermittent. A thorough
cleaning and Caig-ing has not fixed it. (The battery pack is in great shape,
so replacing the switch would be worthwhile.)

I've looked around but nobody has the switch (#22 on the exploded view). Yet
another example of a manufacturer failing to supply parts for a fairly
well-made product that should have a 25-year lifespan. (When I needed a
replacement battery about 10 years ago, the local B&D store had it. Oddly,
it was manufactured on my birthday.)

Other than tossing out a perfectly serviceable item -- any suggestions?
Thanks.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

The switch on my Dust Buster 5400-1 has become intermittent. A thorough
cleaning and Caig-ing has not fixed it. (The battery pack is in great shape,
so replacing the switch would be worthwhile.)

I've looked around but nobody has the switch (#22 on the exploded view). Yet
another example of a manufacturer failing to supply parts for a fairly
well-made product that should have a 25-year lifespan. (When I needed a
replacement battery about 10 years ago, the local B&D store had it. Oddly,
it was manufactured on my birthday.)

Other than tossing out a perfectly serviceable item -- any suggestions?
Thanks.

I'm sure you know that B&D didn't make that switch, so why not just buy
a generic switch that matches the original? Hard to tell from the
exploded diagram I found, but it looks like a pretty generic slide
switch. Or, worst case, *******ize it with any old switch you have lying
around.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm sure you know that B&D didn't make that switch...

Prresumably. But one can't automatically assume that.

...so why
not just buy a generic switch that matches the original? Hard
to tell from the exploded diagram I found, but it looks like a
pretty generic slide switch. Or, worst case, *******ize it with
any old switch you have lying around.

It's a fairly large switch (not the stereotypical slide switch), and it's a
two-pole triple-throw.

I checked several distributors and manufacturers. Most current (ar, ar)
slide switches are miniature or sub-miniature, and have ratings of no higher
than 300mA. One can be reasonably sure the BD pulls two or three times that.
And most of the 2P3T switches I found were spring-loaded, etc.

I think I'll call Switchcraft tomorrow and see what they suggest. I'll also
look at the switch again and see if there's a manufacturer or part number.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

It's a fairly large switch (not the stereotypical slide switch), and it's a
two-pole triple-throw.

You're sure it isn't DPDT with center OFF (ON-OFF-ON?)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's a fairly large switch (not the stereotypical slide switch),
and it's a two-pole triple-throw.

You're sure it isn't DPDT with center OFF (ON-OFF-ON?)

Nope. There are four pairs of contacts (left/right), and (as far as I can
tell) a single slider that bridges two on a side at a time. The switch thus
has three distinct positions. The purpose is to provide "normal" and
"high-power" positions by changing the number of cells. *

After thinking some more, I realized the simplest solution is to drill a
hole and insert a heavy-duty double-pole toggle switch that will bridge the
switch contacts for high power.

* This is, of course, bad design. If you use the vacuum mostly in normal
mode, those cells will wear out much more quickly. Which I why I always run
the unit in high.