Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment
JW JW is offline

Default EDC 521 DC calibrator blowing fuses

Here's one I haven't seen before. Bought an EDC (now Krohn-hite) 521 DC
calibrator on the surplus market that was blowing fuses. There were two
power supplies that seemed to be causing the problem +-150V. Turns out
that there were two 22K 2W carbon comp resistors that are used as bleeders
across the two 470uF filter caps. Both had changed resistance - one was
about 2K, the other was 150 ohms! I've seen carbon comps drift, but never
saw ones that drifted *that* far. Also, in circuits like this where they
are dissipating over a watt, they usually drift high; at least in my
experience...

Well, after replacement it seems to be working well. May need a
calibration though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

JW wrote in message
Here's one I haven't seen before. Bought an EDC (now Krohn-hite) 521 DC
calibrator on the surplus market that was blowing fuses. There were two
power supplies that seemed to be causing the problem +-150V. Turns out
that there were two 22K 2W carbon comp resistors that are used as bleeders
across the two 470uF filter caps. Both had changed resistance - one was
about 2K, the other was 150 ohms! I've seen carbon comps drift, but never
saw ones that drifted *that* far. Also, in circuits like this where they
are dissipating over a watt, they usually drift high; at least in my
experience...

Well, after replacement it seems to be working well. May need a
calibration though.

If you still have them , try a neat 0.5mm thick Dremmelgrinding disc cut
across the middle and see if there is a gradation of resistance developed
across the material , and so along the length. Just under the surface
coating you may find the high conductivity path.
I keep a "black museum" of such oddities , don't know if anyone else does

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

JW wrote in message
[...]

I used to see 2W carbon comp resistors change values drastically all the
time in TEK 520 and 520A vectorscopes. I believe it's heat-related.
(it also might depend on how much V drop across them)

They used to char the PCB even with a 1/2" standoff spacing and some even
dropped off the PCB.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

You might do a dissection, as Nigel suggests, just to see what's in there..
Eyes On can sometimes clear up a lot of mystery.

I have seen old resistors that were a combination of resistance wire and
carbon, but your example could be something else that's interesting.

--
Cheers,
WB

"JW" wrote in message
Here's one I haven't seen before. Bought an EDC (now Krohn-hite) 521 DC
calibrator on the surplus market that was blowing fuses. There were two
power supplies that seemed to be causing the problem +-150V. Turns out
that there were two 22K 2W carbon comp resistors that are used as bleeders
across the two 470uF filter caps. Both had changed resistance - one was
about 2K, the other was 150 ohms! I've seen carbon comps drift, but never
saw ones that drifted *that* far. Also, in circuits like this where they
are dissipating over a watt, they usually drift high; at least in my
experience...

Well, after replacement it seems to be working well. May need a
calibration though.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Jim Yanik wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

JW wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Electronics isn't fun unless you have some flames, forehead contact with
debris, and escaping blue smoke!

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

I used to see 2W carbon comp resistors change values drastically all the
time in TEK 520 and 520A vectorscopes. I believe it's heat-related.
(it also might depend on how much V drop across them)

They used to char the PCB even with a 1/2" standoff spacing and some even
dropped off the PCB.

Sounds as if they used a bunch of recycled SWTPC Tigersaurus power
amplifier PCBs to make those vectorscopes (or, possibly, a couple of
recycled SWTPC designers).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Dave Platt wrote:

I used to see 2W carbon comp resistors change values drastically all the
time in TEK 520 and 520A vectorscopes. I believe it's heat-related.
(it also might depend on how much V drop across them)

They used to char the PCB even with a 1/2" standoff spacing and some even
dropped off the PCB.

Sounds as if they used a bunch of recycled SWTPC Tigersaurus power
amplifier PCBs to make those vectorscopes (or, possibly, a couple of
recycled SWTPC designers).

Bull****. Those vectorscopes were used at TV stations, where most
were on 24/7. The TV stations I've seen didn't have enough cooling for
the equipment racks. SWTPC crap would have burnt up in a week, or less.

Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

JW wrote:
Here's one I haven't seen before.

See what comes from living right, kids? 8-)

there were two 22K 2W carbon comp resistors[...]used as bleeders
[...]Both had changed resistance -
one was about 2K, the other was 150 ohms!
I've seen carbon comps drift, but never saw ones that drifted *that* far.

Count yourself lucky up to that point.

[...]they usually drift high; at least in my experience...

Wirewounds and films age upwards;
carbon comps are a crapshoot.

If you had a dissipation task with outrageous peaks,
carbon comps were a useful option;
they took abuse[1] and mostly just smiled when others would fail.
Otherwise, as this shows, they were not a great choice.
..
..
[1] All that comes close these days is those thick film jobs.

Fuses keep blowing [email protected] Home Repair 13 September 11th 10 10:50 AM
AC Fuses keep blowing uskv Home Repair 3 June 28th 07 04:09 PM
central AC keeps blowing fuses [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 23rd 06 11:02 PM
Fuses keep blowing [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 06:18 PM
BLOWING FUSES !!!!!!! [email protected] UK diy 33 September 21st 05 12:35 AM