Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fuses keep blowing

I live in an old house and the light in the bedroom has a pull string
and not a switch. I wanted a switch so I found the outlet nearest the
door and I removed the outlet and replaced it with a switch. Its kind
of low to the floor for a switch (about 18 inches), but thats better
than no switch at all. There were 2 wires in there, one black one
kind of a gray color. I put one wire on each screw on the switch.
Then I bought a switch cover because the outlet cover would not fit on
the switch. Whenever I turn on the switch, the fuse blows. I have
bought 3 boxes of fuses this week alone and that's getting expensive.
I even tried a larger fuse after the hardware store guy told me to try
a 30 instead of a 15. He said I'd get twice as much power. Them
fuses blows too when I turn on the switch. I then tried reversing the
wires on the switch screws, but it still blows the fuses.

Is the problem because the switch is too low to the floor?
What should I do?

Thank You.
Mark Lesko
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 3:39*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/8/2010 1:16 PM spake thus:

[...]

Nice try.

I give your troll about a 2-1/2.

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (http://antiwar.com)- Hide quoted text -

You shoudn't even have bothered to reply, let Darwin get his chance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 4:16*pm, wrote:
[...]

Replace the fuses with a breaker. It will save you money and it's a
good way to exercise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Dear Mark;

Have you tried a "California 3-way"...
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=121068

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Mark;

Have you tried a "California 3-way"...
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=121068

The fancy drawn circuit at the start is a Carter circuit, not a California.

The hand drawn circuits are Californias.

Not that it matters to the OP troll.

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 6:59*pm, J Burns wrote:
On 9/8/10 4:16 PM, wrote:

[...]

You have a short circuit. *I've had a short circuit with an outlet four
feet from the floor. *You can make the circuit longer by using an outlet
farther from the door, not the floor.

What has the outlet too close to floor got to do with short circuit?
Inquiring minds...

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:04:34 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Sep 8, 6:59Â*pm, J Burns wrote:
On 9/8/10 4:16 PM, wrote:

I live in an old house and the light in the bedroom has a pull string
and not a switch. Â*I wanted a switch so I found the outlet nearest the
door and I removed the outlet and replaced it with a switch. Â*Its kind
of low to the floor for a switch (about 18 inches), but thats better
than no switch at all. Â*There were 2 wires in there, one black one
kind of a gray color. Â*I put one wire on each screw on the switch.
Then I bought a switch cover because the outlet cover would not fit on
the switch. Â*Whenever I turn on the switch, the fuse blows. Â*I have
bought 3 boxes of fuses this week alone and that's getting expensive.
I even tried a larger fuse after the hardware store guy told me to try
a 30 instead of a 15. Â*He said I'd get twice as much power. Â*Them
fuses blows too when I turn on the switch. Â*I then tried reversing the
wires on the switch screws, but it still blows the fuses.

Is the problem because the switch is too low to the floor?
What should I do?

Thank You.
Mark Lesko

You have a short circuit. Â*I've had a short circuit with an outlet four
feet from the floor. Â*You can make the circuit longer by using an outlet
farther from the door, not the floor.

What has the outlet too close to floor got to do with short circuit?
Inquiring minds...

HB

It would be a "long circuit" if the wiring cabe down from the attic.
Is that a clue??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2010 12:22 PM spake thus:

wrote:

On Sep 8, 6:59 pm, J Burns wrote:

On 9/8/10 4:16 PM, wrote:

[...]

I actually thought that part of the troll was somewhat clever. Got a
short circuit? Hey, just make it a little longer!

This actually played out in real life for me one time. Had a client with
a very strange electrical problem. He had three switches next to his
front door. Two worked fine (overhead outside light and a security
light). But the third one would cause a very long delayed trip of a
circuit breaker if switched on, accompanied by a loud humming sound.

After tracing his wiring up through his garage, I discovered that the
problem was in a very long line (close to 100') that went up to what was
once a light fixture at the end of his driveway. The fixture had long
since been removed, but they just left the line (wires in conduit) in
place. They were shorted near the end, so this was essentially a very
long short circuit. (Long enough not to immediately trip the breaker.)

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (
http://antiwar.com)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2010 12:22 PM spake thus:

wrote:

On Sep 8, 6:59 pm, J Burns wrote:

On 9/8/10 4:16 PM, wrote:

[...]

Shorted, I'd expect 100 feet of 16 gage cable to draw about 150 amps, 12
gage about 370. Might there somehow have been series inductance? (I
once ran the current to my water heater through the low-impedance side
of a transformer. The high-impedance side ran an odometer-type 24VAC
clock to show how many hours the water heater ran.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2010 2:38 PM J Burns spake thus:

[...]

Nope, nothing but a long run of cable in that circuit. 12 ga. if I
remember correctly (20 A circuit). It took several seconds before the
breaker tripped. The actual short might have had a bit of resistance,
though (corroded wires touching).

AC Fuses keep blowing uskv Home Repair 3 June 28th 07 04:09 PM
central AC keeps blowing fuses [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 23rd 06 11:02 PM
Fuses keep blowing [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 06:18 PM
BLOWING FUSES PART 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [email protected] UK diy 15 September 25th 05 01:00 AM
BLOWING FUSES !!!!!!! [email protected] UK diy 33 September 21st 05 12:35 AM