Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CMOS Wake On Alarm Question

I have a Acer Verition M460 [AMI BIOS R01-C3] with WindowsXP SP3.
I had the CMOS set to wake and boot every morning. Worked fine for several
years.
Then intermittent, now not at all.
In the morning the power light is on and the NIC light is sometimes on.
Screen has no info and the PC has stopped short of actually booting [so
Event Viewer has no info]. I simply hold the power button 3 seconds and
repower up. Always successful.
Time/date is accurate but I changed the CMOS battery and re-enabled the RTC
alarm.
No joy.
Obviously not a major issue but I am curious, any idea why this is
happening?
Thank you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Keiser wrote:
I have a Acer Verition M460 [AMI BIOS R01-C3] with WindowsXP SP3.
I had the CMOS set to wake and boot every morning. Worked fine for several
years.
Then intermittent, now not at all.
In the morning the power light is on and the NIC light is sometimes on.
Screen has no info and the PC has stopped short of actually booting [so
Event Viewer has no info]. I simply hold the power button 3 seconds and
repower up. Always successful.
Time/date is accurate but I changed the CMOS battery and re-enabled the RTC
alarm.
No joy.
Obviously not a major issue but I am curious, any idea why this is
happening?
Thank you.

Try another supply, it sounds as if the standby 5volt is flaky.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In case anyone has a similar problem, this was answered in a different
thread. Cap on motherboard located near CMOS showing bulge + running very
hot. Likely suspect.

newspSdndIn748pq6bQnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d@powerusenet. com...